The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Xmas wines- Mugnier, Piper Rare, Bdx, Sancerre, more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Xmas wines- Mugnier, Piper Rare, Bdx, Sancerre, more

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:27 pm

A regift from someone who doesn’t drink, the 2015 Real Companhia Velha Evel (Douro) isn’t actually evil, but it’s not good either. A white blend of indigneous grapes, it’s quite musky, moderate acids, and a clipped finish. But worked for cooking wine. C+

Wednesday an assortment of takeout Thai :
NV Jacquart “Mosaïque” Brut Champagne
This was fruity to the point of sweet, overdosaged for my tastes, inexpensive Champagne but I can find cheap Cava I like better. C+/B-

2019 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Blanc

A edelzicker-ish blend, a very pleasant surprise. Good acids, low alcohol, bright and minerally. Quite the value. B+/B

No wine Christmas Eve as we went out on the streets (getting back just before a big storm really blew in), but just the two of us Christmas Day (dinner was veal piccata and spinach)

2001 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny- we were having veal piccata, but I needed a red for Christmas, and there was a thread on another site called "Chambolle with veal piccata." In a good place, perfumed and elegant. Balanced, bright, and earthy. A_
(Best part was label was terrible (was on bottom row on concrete in my passive cellar), so didn't need to think about what this goes for in current insane market.)

I actually opened a second bottle, 2018 Thomas-Labaille Monts Dames Cuvee Buster Sancerre, much better match with the veal.Big-boned style of Sancerre, plenty of acid and flint, long. B+/A-

Saturday was lamb rib chops with broccoli rabe, and the 1998 Ch. Sociando-Mallet. Still a bit of tannin, slightly fading fruit, some bell pepper and oregano. B-

Sunday went for drinks and appetizers with some friends (open windows, fans, chilly!).
We carried canapes- jamon iberico de bellota, ankimo with ponzu and watermelon radish, smoked bluefish with creme fraiche. They had shrimp and stuffed mushrooms. I brought the bubbles, they had a red.

2002 Piper-Heidsieck “Rare” Brut Champagne
Rich but snappy, bright, citrus and pear, brioche. Lovely. A-

2015 Ch. Pierre 1er (St Emilion)

Never heard of this before. Pretty impenetrable right now tannin, tight fruit, closed. B-/C+ for drinking now, awkward place.

Home for grey sole, yu choy, sesame spinach
2016 Battenfeld Spanier Mölsheim Riesling Trocken
Nectarine, lemon, wet rocks, ginger. Powerful and focused. Nice. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Xmas wines- Mugnier, Piper Rare, Bdx, Sancerre, mor

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Glad you enjoyed the Goodfellow. I enjoy the Blanc for an occasional break from my usual German and Austrian choices. Still more into the Pinots though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 am

Love that 02 Rare. Fantastic bubbles (gaudy bottle).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:34 am

I was skeptical of the blend, but Marcus spoke well of it, glad I tried- low octane fun.

Patrick, elegant wine, vulgar bottle. A friend removed the wrap/filigree and made a tiara for one zoom call.