The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Bize Vergelesses

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2005 Bize Vergelesses

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Last night was a gorgeous bottle of 2005 Simon Bize Savigny Aux Vergelesses. Maybe those of you with glacial cellars will wait longer. But this is one of the bottles I've owned the longest and it's made two interstate moves with me. Not sure if that advanced it, but it was in a perfect zone last night, for my tastes.

Waves and layers of that rich 2005 fruit, but the tannins and the structure are nicely resolved and harmonious. A lovely drink of rich vibrant and mineral Burgundy. I have one more bottle that will get opened in the upcoming months. The promise of aging was fulfilled!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Bize Vergelesses

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Lovely. My last 2005 attempt was a Pavelot Vergelesses that was not terribly happy about being opened.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Nice note Rahsaan..Happy New Year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:52 am

I have some Bize, but they're '09s. The only one I opened so far was magnificent, I recall you commented on it. It's been a few years, may be time to try another.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:55 am

Jenise wrote:I have some Bize, but they're '09s. The only one I opened so far was magnificent, I recall you commented on it. It's been a few years, may be time to try another.

I hope I didn't say anything too authoritative! I don't have much experience with Bize. Way back in 2009, I bought some of this and some of the 05 d'Angerville Volnay 1er and have been waiting a long time. Inbetween, I ended up following other producers more closely.

I also hesitate to say if 05 Bize Vergelesses from an ice-cold storage would show the same way. I don't detect any outright 'heat damage' or compromised flavors. But, there are a few wines I have had this long, and 05 ESJ Bassetti is another. I noticed that my bottles of 05 Bassetti that have been with me the longest and made the two interstate moves show more generous and delicious than the ones I bought from his library release in the past few years. (License to open the wines!)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Pushing my luck, last night I opened 2005 d'Angerville Volnay 1er cru. I bought it the same time as the Bize and it's been through the same number of interstate moves. But, it still wants more time to sleep!

It was not fiercely closed down or anything, and there was pleasure in the deep 05 fruit that is moving towards harmony. Especially with dinner. But there was more firm muscular acid definition that could evolve a bit more into harmonious silk for my tastes. Save the next bottle!