The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kuentz-Bas Alsace Blanc '18....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Kuentz-Bas Alsace Blanc '18....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Tried this last night with our Pig+Fig Shepard'sPie:
1. Kuentz-Bas AC: Alsace (13.5%; 65% Sylvaner/15% Muscat/10% PinotGris/10% GWT; http://www.Kuentz-Bas.Fr; KermitLynchImports) Husseren LesChateaux 2018: Med.gold color; very strong quite fragrant/grapey/fruity/very floral/Sylvaner slight muscatty/perfumed rather old-timey Alsace slight chalky/earthy lovely fragrant nose; fairly tart/tangy slightly rich/lush very strong fruity/Sylvaner/floral totally dry lovely flavor; very long totally dry bit lean strong floral/Sylvaner/bit muscatty/perfumed slight chalky/mineral lovely flavor; nothing profound but just good drinking Alsace at a great price. $15.00 (KK)
1. I was at Kokoman looking for a white for dinner last night & thought that I hadn't drunk Alsace for awhile, so grabbed this because of the price. This is what would normally be labeled an Edelzwicker, but they chose not to label it as such.
Wow....I was mightly impressed. It is not a profound expression of Alsace but very old-timey. This is what Alsace used to taste like back in the '70's. Afore OliverHumbrecht was annointed in Monktown as the world's genuis winemaker. Not low-acid/high alcohol/residual sugar/concentrated. This is exactly what Alsace wine should be....a brisk acidity, totally dry, great drinking and, best of all..cheap. It's a wine that would go perfect w/ my tart l'Alsacienne or my plate of weenies & kraut. Sometimes you don't want a contemplative/profound wine. You just want something that's dry, tastes good...and did I mention cheap? Took me back to the '70's when I drank Alsace whites on a regular basis because they were cheap & I could afford it on a graduate student's income. I'm going back for more.
Tom