The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two NoisyWater NM Skin-Contact Whites...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two NoisyWater NM Skin-Contact Whites...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:35 pm

Tried these two last night:
1. NoisyWaterWnry CheninBlanc ForbiddenDesertVnyd/Engle (Skin-contact; SaH: 21.2Brix; Hrvstd: 8/26/19; 10.5%; 90 cs; Frst Hrvst; http://www.NoisyWaterWinery.com) NoisyWaterWnry/Alta/NM 2019: Light gold color; light phenolic/ViniMacerati/skin-contact some pear/CB/fruity light earthy pleasant nose; bit soft/metallic light phenolic/VM/resiny light CB/pear/appley pleasant flavor w/ very light tannic bite; med.long soft/tangy/bit metallic light phenolic/VM finish; not strongly phenolic & an altogether pleasant expression, if lightweight, expression of CB. $30.00
2. NoisyWaterWnry Chard ForbiddenDesertVnyd/Engle (Skin-contact; SaH: 23.2Brix; Hrvstd: 8/21/19; 12.5%; 127 cs; FrstHrvst; 30+ yr old vines)2019: Med.light gold color; rather earthy/dusty/bit dishwater/funky light Chard/melony slight phenolic/VM bit interesting nose; some tart/tangy/metallic light phenolic/VM/resiny somewhat earthy/dusty/OV slight herbal rather interesting flavors; very long lightly tart/tangy/bit metallic light phenolic/VM slight melony/Chard lightweight bit earthy finish; a pleasant enough Chard w/ a light VM signature but just that. $30.00
1. NoisyWater is a wnry over in Ruidoso (Noisy Water) NM. Owned by a man names Jasper Riddle. Ruidoso is a town up in the mountains of Eastern NM that is very touristy, popular w/ the Texans. He started out as a designer of T-Shirts to sell to the tourists. Then segued into winemaking, focusing on NM grapes. The tourist trade in Ruidoso was not a big enough pond, so he expanded to tasting rooms in Albq & SantaFe.
When they opened their SF tasting room, I went in and tasted thru most of their wines. I was pretty underwhelmed. The inexpensive ones all had too much r.s. for my taste. The higher-end wines were up in the $60/btl price range and pretty overpriced for what they were. Plus there was a focus on wines with cutesy labels (TightyWhiteys/BigLegs/Jo Mamma's; red chile & chocolate) that were not very good. So I'd pretty much written them off.
When Gruet sold out to precept Brands & focused on making American sparklers using WashState grapes, they decided it was to much work to farm grapes in NM. So they sold off their large vnyd over in Engle/NM. Jasper purchased it & so is now into big-time farming of NM grapes. Most of those vines are 30+ yrs old. He now calls it the ForbiddenDesert Vnyd. He enters his wines in a lot of wine judgings around the country & so has a ton of medals to show for it. For what that's worth.
A yr or so ago, Jasper was named NM Entrepreneur of the Year by some organization that doles thos things out. For what that's worth.
I saw in an article a few weeks ago that he won gold medals in some judging for a skin-contact CheninBlanc & Chard. First wines of that type made here in NM. So I went by the tasting room and picked up these two btls advertised as "orange" wines. They are not that, though. From the colors, I would guess they had only 3-4 days of skin-contact. The phenolic/VM signature was not very strong.
I was not overwhelmed by these two whites, but they struck me as better/more interesting than the ones I tried back then in their tasting room. They've added a lot more interesting wines to their portfolio & I should go revisit their tasting room. They're not NM's best wines (that would be Vivac & Black Mesa), but worth checking out again. Maybe NoisyWater will be able to survive strictly on the tourist trade and need not up the quality of their wines.
Tom
Last edited by TomHill on Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Two NoisyWater NM Skin-Contact Whites...(short/bori

by Jenise » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:09 pm

That's kinda one of those "...and now you know the rest of the story" endings to a question that might have started with Gruet. Very interesting progression of intentions for that guy. Btw, the link doesn't work--it says 'website under construction' and meanwhile offers you a variety of plumbing issues you might look at instead. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Fixed...

by TomHill » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Jenise wrote:That's kinda one of those "...and now you know the rest of the story" endings to a question that might have started with Gruet. Very interesting progression of intentions for that guy. Btw, the link doesn't work--it says 'website under construction' and meanwhile offers you a variety of plumbing issues you might look at instead. :)

Fixed, Jenise. Sorry about that.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Two NoisyWater NM Skin-Contact Whites...(short/bori

by Jenise » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:04 pm

No problem. I found the redirect options rather amusing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov