The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What I Learned About Madeira

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

What I Learned About Madeira

by Peter May » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:24 pm

During a recent Zoom tasting of four Madeiras with Chris Blandy of Blandy's Madeira Lodge in Funchal he said

• France takes the majority of Madeira exports - they use it in cooking (!)
  • Madeira should not be stored on its side as its high acidity will destroy the cork
  • Vineyards are small and mostly family owned and farmed, and the farmers children don't want to take over. Chris is worried about the future supply of grapes
  • For such a well known wine, there's not many hectares of vineyards and thus not much Madeira is produced

20201214-Weekday-wines-Thu.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks..

by TomHill » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Peter May wrote:During a recent Zoom tasting of four Madeiras with Chris Blandy of Blandy's Madeira Lodge in Funchal he said

• France takes the majority of Madeira exports - they use it in cooking (!)
  • Madeira should not be stored on its side as its high acidity will destroy the cork
  • Vineyards are small and mostly family owned and farmed, and the farmers children don't want to take over. Chris is worried about the future supply of grapes
  • For such a well known wine, there's not many hectares of vineyards and thus not much Madeira is produced

Thanks, Peter. I've also heard that about storing Madeira on its side.
Is there any move afoot there to use screwtops??
Tom