The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WX3N: In Pursuit of J Bookwalter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

WX3N: In Pursuit of J Bookwalter

by Pat G » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:53 pm

Received the 2007 Protagonist, Red Mountain, as a gift. Special occasion weekend. Bottle stood up for 2 days. Opened with not-too-trusty Coravin. That worked well, despite the Diam.

Wine re-affirmed my fascination with Red Mountain reds. Merlot-dominant, Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, and 2-3% each Syrah and Petit Verdot. Overall impression: Supple, smooth, soft, satiny. Balanced, complex. Evolves. Well-blended, interesting aromatics. Drink now.

Deep garnet to ruby to rose; rim variation consistent with age. Very good clarity. Slow, wide-spaced legs. Day 1: Aromas are fruit dominant; blueberry, red currant, black current. Also noted are dust, nutmeg and black olive. On the palate, nutmeg strengthens and a hint of black olive emerges. By Day 2, wine's balance and complexity become more apparent. By Day 3, cherry was noted on the palate. Impression: well-blended wine with interesting aromatics.

Great gift, good timing.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WX3N: In Pursuit of J Bookwalter

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Glad it aged properly for you.

Red Mountain is a fine area for Bordeaux varieties.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WX3N: In Pursuit of J Bookwalter

by Jenise » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Interesting the difference noted over days with the Coravin. Still evolving IOW. Kind of thwarts the whole purpose of using that thing, doesn't it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov