The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Merlot Budget

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Merlot Budget

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:50 pm

1992 Ravenswood Merlot Sangiacomo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/13/2020)
Wonderful showing for a nearly 30 year old Merlot. It’s barely medium bodied, and has higher acidity than more modern editions of the grape, but that just makes it more lively and refreshing. Pipe tobacco, rare meat, soy influenced umami and dusty red fruit mingle together in both the aromatics, and then really fan out on the palate. It’s a lovely expression of an older Merlot, mouthwatering and engaging.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Merlot Budget

by Jenise » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Pretty cool. I cannot swear I had the Merlot from Sangiacomo VY but it seems familiar. I definitely in that same time frame, when I was a neophyte, that it was the first vineyard I bonded with as an entity separate from the producer. I remember a magical Ravenswood Sangiacomo chardonnay too--I was so naive then that I was amazed to have both red and white from the same vineyard, like "They can do that???"
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov