The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A TJ's QPR Champ....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A TJ's QPR Champ....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Did some bottom feeding at TraderJoe's on Sat & tried:
1. Florian GrunerVeltliner Pannon/Hungary (12.0%; LattitudeWines/Danville) Weinkellerei Hechtsheim/Mainz 2019: Med.light yellow color; light citric/lemony light GV/peppery/bit floral somewhat earthy/bit coarse nose; soft off-dry (says "dry" on the label; 0.5%-0.7% r.s.) light citric/lemony bit earthy very quiet GV/floral slight metallic/tangy pleasant if simple flavor; med.short off-dry bit soft light weight floral/GV/earthy rather simple finish; a pleasant bit simple white that speaks of GV w/ a whisper. $7.00 (TJ)
2. Weights & Measures Syrah EdnaVlly/Calif (15.4%; "hand selected barrel from one of EdnaVlly's most highly regarded producers") MorganHill 2018: Rather dark color; strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/ripe/spicy some c-c/black pepper/bit cinammon light toasty/oak quite attractive lovely ripe Syrah nose; lightly tart bit hard/angular fairly rich/lush/tangy some ripe blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/spicy light toasty/oak light c-c/peppery quite attractive flavor w/ light ripe/smooth tannins; very long spicy/blackberry/Syrah/ripe/bit boysenberry slight c-c/peppery slight Rhonish/meaty light toasty/oak finish w/ light ripe tannins; a bit rough/angular on the palate but a lovely classic c-c Syrah at a great price. $10.00 (TJ)
1. It's much easier to bottom-feed at TotalWines. When you see a label/producer you don't recognize, if it says "WineryDirect" on the shelf-talker and T.SarantyImports on the back label, you're pretty much assured to get a dull-as-dishwater wine. But at TJ's, you have to be a bit more discerning. If the bottling location is AmericanCanyon or Modest, you can be pretty sure it's a FredFranzia wine. May be pretty bland & characterless, maybe a small step above that. But on this unknown label, I noted it specified EdnaVlly AVA, but no identifiable producer. So I suspected it might have a fighting chance to be something decent. It was more than that.
It was probably a Syrah bulked out by an EdnaVlly wnry that didn't meet their standards and bttld under this made-up label.
In MorganHill, was probably btld at Guglielmo Wnry. Guessing on the producer, I would guess EdnaVllyVnyds or BaileyanaWnry, maybe WolffVnyds. Adding to the mystery, there is a Bozzano Wnry in PasoRobles that specializes in custom-label bulk wines, which includes the W&M label. So they probably bought the wine in bulk and bttld this up for TJ's, but don't know why in MorganHill rather than PasoRobles.
But whoever made it, this is a pretty danged good Syrah at an outstanding price. Worth checking out.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: A TJ's QPR Champ....(short/boring)

by Jenise » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks for the tip. My brother braved TJ's yesterday, and he's on a budget. Fed him your info, hope he found some!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Got & response from Anthony Bozzano. He's delighted it's well received. The wine was indeed bttld at Gugliemo,
but the NDA does not allow him to say who actually made the wine.
But he said that in a few months, they will have another W&M wine out from the SantaYnezVlly that he thinks very
highly of. So keep your eyes peeled for it.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Syrah

by TomHill » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:54 pm

The new W&M SantaYnezVlly wine will be a Syrah, according to Anthony.
Tom