The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Up the Dry Creek

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Up the Dry Creek

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:59 pm

2014 Bedrock Wine Co. Lorenzo's Heritage - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/9/2020)
Had been thinking about opening a slightly older Bedrock for a while, and last night was finally the right time. Lorenzo's Heritage is one of my favorites, only slightly behind Evangelho for top of the (ever growing) heap of Bedrock releases. I opened one of these way back when it came out, and cemented my plan to buy a bunch each and every year. Since then I have always opened a new vintage bottle shortly after release, and always been thrilled with the results.

That's a long preamble to saying that I really enjoyed this bottle with some age on it, but I think I wanted to like it even more than I really did. It was still an excellent wine, showing a more of its Dry Creek bones than a newly released wine could, but I missed the exuberance of the younger bottle. It was a more contemplative wine than I was looking for on a Tuesday night after a long day of work. It still had that dusty red fruit and warm herb profile, just with the volume turned down. It was polite listening rather than a party. Maybe just me, but that's how it struck me. I left 1/3 of the bottle to check out tonight.
Decisions are made by those who show up