The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Various bottles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN: Various bottles

by John S » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:50 pm

I've been drinking a fair number of around 10 year old OR pinots lately, and definitely enjoying them. The Ati Rangi was also excellent.

• 2010 Cristom Pinot Noir Marjorie Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (2020-12-06)
    Drinking beautifully right after opening. A special wine, with tea, cherry and spices on the nose. There was a core of concentrated, earthy cherry, raspberry and pomegranate, almost like a cordial, that ran down the silky, medium bodied palate, with more spices, slight tannins and stem notes on the long finish. Lovely pinot that is drinking very well now, but will likely last quite a long time. (A)
  • 2017 Eminent Domaine Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2020-12-04)
    A very nice OR chardonnay here. A mixture of old and new styles of chardonnay, with some nice acidity, salinity and stonefruit flavours, together with some oak notes and accompanying butterscotch and popcorn smells and flavours in this medium bodied wine. Nice medium to long finish as well. I've been impressed by this winery, and it's become a must visit when I am in the area: lovely views from the cellar door too. (A-)
  • 2005 Jean-Claude Boisset Santenay 1er Cru Grand Clos Rousseau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Santenay 1er Cru (2020-11-29)
    Still deep brick in colour, with a lovely nose filled with cherries, mushroom and earth. A silky textured, medium bodied pinot, with the secondary flavours of earth, mushrooms and smoke, along with the redfruits and still some tannins. Glad I waited to try this, and glad to have one left. No great rush. (A-)
  • 2013 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Moulin-à-Vent - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent (2020-11-29)
    This bottled drank like an old school, structured, not super ripe beaujolais. A medium bodied, 'crunchy' wine, with tannins and acid battling the fruit, which was in the red fruit spectrum but also had herbal notes too. A little disjointed perhaps, but a good, serious gamay. (B+)
  • 2009 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Block 1B Balcombe Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2020-11-20)
    Not a shy Pinot here. There's a explosion of cherry cordial with some earthy and tar notes, pomegranates and some spices on the medium bodied palate. Quite light in colour, but packs a tasty punch. Healthy acidity keeps things fresh in this warm year. (A-/A)
  • 2008 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir - New Zealand, North Island, Wairarapa, Martinborough (2020-11-16)
    Had this last week, and agree with others that this is drinking very well now but shows no sign of declining yet. Lovely secondary flavours are developing, with earth and mushroom joining with the strawberry and cherry fruit and there's a nice plush texture and long finish too. Impressive. (A-/A)
  • 2015 Synchromesh Riesling Four Shadows Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2020-11-04)
    Like many of the Synchromesh Rieslings, this one starts with a sweet, creamy whoosh of stone fruit flavours, and then the high acidity kicks in, and by the time it hits the back palate, it is almost bone dry. It's always an interesting and exhilarating experience. Still going strong, but should last quite a while still, but this is unfortunately my last (and best) bottle. (A-)
  • 2014 Jean Bourdy Chardonnay Côtes du Jura - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura (2020-11-01)
    Fascinating wine that really speaks of its region. Not a lot showing on the nose, but the medium bodied palate is alive with a lemon based acidity, with classic chardonnay notes at the front of the mouth before the lemon notes hit at the end. There is a touch of oxidation as well. Definitely better as it approached room temperature. Next time I will give it the 3-4 hour decant suggested on the label. (A-)
  • 2006 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Sauvignon - Australia, South Australia, Limestone Coast, Coonawarra (2020-10-29)
    Had this several days ago, and it seemed to be in the zone. Mainly about the plush blackfruits on show, with just a hint of herbal notes. Nicely concentrated, not a great deal of complexity, but nicely balanced and a lovely Coonawarra cabernet with still some ripe tannins to give it structure. Drinking well now, but in no danger of decline. Great value, and wish I had more. (A-)
  • 2011 Cristom Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (2020-10-27)
    Hazy notes from three days ago. The 2011s seem to be drinking well now, and this one seemed ready too. The vintage showed here, with a light to medium bodied wine with strawberry and cherry flavours but not a great deal of complexity. Still, there was a nice texture and nose to this wine, but not quite up to Christom standards. (B+/A-)
  • 2010 Quinta do Vallado Touriga Nacional Douro - Portugal, Douro (2020-10-19)
    Deep red/purple in colour. The nose is moderately strong, with a mix of black and blue fruits with plums, cedar, mint, cinnamon and tar. Full bodied on the concentrated and tannic palate, with similar flavours on show, and both earthy and mineral notes. Rather modern in style, and still young, given the tannins on show, but still tasty and not too over the top. (B+)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Various bottles

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:38 am

Nice! Vallado is on the shelf downtown.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:14 am

Eminent Domaine is a new name to me. Thanks...I think. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:39 am

The Eminent Domain chardonnay is nice, but the pinots are better, I think.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:27 am

Nice to see someone aging Santenay.
Thanks for note on the Brun. I really like Brun, more likely to buy L'Ancien or Fleurie, but think I actually have the 13 MaV.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Eminent Domaine is new to me too.

Re the Patty Green, are any of hers ever shy when young? I find them unpleasantly extracted in youth, though I understand this ages out gracefully.

And re the Wynn's, that's definitely a good old days kind of wine. From the 90's into as late as 04 I bought cases every year for which I paid around $10/bottle. Best cab buy on the planet. Not much later, the price at least tripled. They were always worth that hence the multiple case purchases. But once priced at fair value for quality, there were so many other options I don't think I've bought the wine since.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:35 pm

I have the same history with the Wynn's Black Label cab. I still have some bottles from the late 1990s, but stopped buying when the prices went up, around the late 2000s I think? I agree they were some of the best value wines out there for many years, but no longer. We aren't alone - the 2014 vintage has been sitting on the shelves here for about 3-4 years.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Eminent Domaine is new to me too.

Re the Patty Green, are any of hers ever shy when young? I find them unpleasantly extracted in youth, though I understand this ages out gracefully.

And re the Wynn's, that's definitely a good old days kind of wine. From the 90's into as late as 04 I bought cases every year for which I paid around $10/bottle. Best cab buy on the planet. Not much later, the price at least tripled. They were always worth that hence the multiple case purchases. But once priced at fair value for quality, there were so many other options I don't think I've bought the wine since.

We've had the 2014 Berserkers and the 2015 Marine Sedimentary from Patricia Green. For both, I noted definite toast and vanilla at 4-5 years. And the 2014 had a bit of prune at 4 years old. Does that help, Jenise?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 am

Pat, when I said "ages out" I was referring to 10+ years. I'm surprised by prune at 4-5 years, not a good sign in a vintage that couldn't blame that on overripeness.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov