The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bischoflich Riesling ??...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Bischoflich Riesling ??...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Tried this w/ Sue at our Fri Thanksgiving dinner:
1. Bischoflich Riesling Trier ??: med.light gold color that deepened overnight; strong mineral/R/light floral relatively fresh some peachy/apricotty/botrytis bit cedary/old R quite complex beautiful/fragrant old R nose; fairly tart slight off-dry (0.5%-0.6% r.s.?) quite mineral/slatey/flinty some R/floral/fresh light peachy/botrytis/ripe peach quite complex fairly quiet flavor; very long/lingering restrained/delicate some mineral/slatey light R/floral/fresh fairly tart off-dry finish; a lovely expression of an olf Mosel R but surprisingly fresh; beautiful if quiet wine.
1. We Susan & I go for lunch or dinner at Sue's, she gives me free reign to ravage Bruce's remaining cellar. I came upon the obviously Mosel btl. However, the high humidity in the cellar has rotted some of the labels. For this btl, the label was totally missing. Only from the kapsule did I know it was from the Bischoflich in Trier. The top of the cork indicated it was fairly old. The cork was pretty fragile but came out in two pieces. There was no indication on it of the vintage year, nor which of the three vnyds it came from. So pretty much a mystery wine. When poured, the color was a light golden color which indicated a fairly young R. But overnight, whith some headspace in the remaining, it deepened considerably in color. The nose was rather fresh in character, but knowing Bruce's buying habits, I would guess it was an '83 or '89 Spatlese.
Tom