The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another tidy whitie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Another tidy whitie

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:29 pm

2019 Ontañón Rioja Edición Limitada Tempranillo Blanco
Ordered from Saltine last night ($28 restaurant list). WOW. Intense and mildly tropical, with white pineapple, white flowers, and ripe white stone fruit. Unlike anything I've ever had but it has the body of a good Macon with the crushed seashells of muscadet on the finish, and there's more that I don't have names for. Outstanding. Going to go hunt more down.

Unfamiliar with Tempranillo Blanco? Here's the skinny from Ontanon's website: Ontañón Tempranillo Blanco is made from the Tempranillo white grape. In 1988 a wine grower in the Rioja Baja region discovered in the midst of his Tempranillo red grapes one of his vines had produced yellow green clusters of grapes. After several years of investigation, the Consejo Regulador of Rioja accepted that this was a natural mutation of the usually red grape. Several producers now grow it....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Another tidy whitie

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Interesting.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 pm

It's one of those wines that makes you go, Really? Only $28? Why do I ever spend more when there are wines like this on the planet?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 pm

Yeah, I get that way about things like Riesling Kabinett and some of the lower priced Bedrock wines.

Then I taste Grand Cru Chablis and/or Premier Cru Red Burgundy and go "ah, that's why I pay for it."

BTW, funny aside, I am doing some cellar reorganizing (cur the ibuprofin), and opened a box that was topped with three nice bottles of ESJ. I was about to just put it back where it came from, but decided to check the bottom layer of the 6-pack...2 bottles of 2002 Pousse d'Or 1er Cru and my bottle of 2001 DRC Richebourg! I knew I had it, but hadn't been able to lay my hands on it for a while. I had outsmarted myself with my hiding skills.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:06 pm

I'd have been ripping the dry wall off to find that DRC. Holy cow!

I know the feeling of going back to the burgs. That's the great calibrator--but all the same, I adore and celebrate these momentary wonders. Euphoria doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Speaking of that, went out for my weekly lettuce run yesterday. I whizzed thru the wine section not to look but because it was on the way to the cashiers and not meaning to look (everything's 20% off this week) but my wine buddy who runs that department called out to me, "I have some burgundies to show you!" Not even on the shelves, stuff he hadn't put out yet, 2015 Chateau de Meursault 1er Cru Volnay les Chene, or is it Chenes. And a 1er cru Meursault-Charmes. "42.95", he said. I had him meet me at the register with three each. My price out the door: $33. Now that's some lettuce!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Yes, Chenes and good deal!