The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cheap Thrill

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Cheap Thrill

by Jenise » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:17 pm

2008 Maryhill Cabernet Franc Columbia Valley
Cellar orphan, didn't even realize I had it. Bought two cases for half price ($10/bottle) many years ago and thought we'd given it all away. So, faced with this, opened it just to get it out of our hair, fully expected to pour it on the rhododendrons--but wow, it was real wine with great thorny berry and herb varietal character and foresty secondary nuances. We've had a lot of expensive 2008's that didn't make the last 12 years, let alone show up like this one did. A delight.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Cheap Thrill

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:55 pm

How do the rhododendrons feel about wine baths?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:51 am

If you're not being facetious, the serious answer is that acid-loving plants like rhodies, camellias, etc actually enjoy the acidification of their soils. I'm sure one could overdo it but thankfully we don't have that many bad wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:01 am

I was in fact not being facetious. I have some rhodies in the front yard. May try it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Okay then, I'd add that in summer I'd dilute it but in rainy weather we just sprinkle it about directly. Got the idea, btw, from an Asian friend whose grandmother asked for his wine throwaways to fertilize her orchid collection.