The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ryme Vermentino "Hers" '14....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ryme Vermentino "Hers" '14....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Tried thislast weekend w/ Susan:
1. Ryme Vermentino "Hers" LasBrisasVnyd/Carneros/SonomaCnty (12.0%) 2014: Light gold color; very fragrant/perfumed strong Verm/carnations/floral slight petrol/pungent/Mosel valve oil slight spicy/nutmeg somewhat complex beautiful nose; fairly tart/tangy rather rich/lush very strong Verm/flowery/carnations/spicy light petrol/Mosel valve oil almost mature R-like some complex flavor; very long/lingering strong Verm/floral bit petrol/R-like complex finish; a beautifully evolved Verm almost like a R in character.
1. The "Hers" Vermentino is the one Megan makes by customary direct-to-press & SS ferments. When young, I almost always prefer the "Hers" to the "His" (Vino Macerati) because of its more powerful aromatics. It's only after it has some age on it that the "His" comes into its own. Usually, the "Hers" doesn't show a whole lot of gain w/ age. But I was quite surprised by this "Hers". The first whiff had a familiar smell when I realized it had developed some of that petrol character you find in a mature Riesling. Don't think I'd ever encountered that before.
Tom