The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Strub Times Two

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Strub Times Two

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:16 pm

• 1995 J & HA Strub Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Auslese - Germany, Rheinhessen (10/31/2020)
    When I touched the corkscrew to the cork it promptly fell into the bottle. I expected the wine to be dead and gone. To my complete surprise it was not only alive, it was fresh and vibrant, showing more like ten years old rather than twenty-five. Lightweight, bracing, it seemed more like supercharged Kabinett with a touch of botrytis, rather than an Auslese, but that’s mostly how times and climate have changed. Bright peach fruit touched by golden honey with a rainwater, story and lightly spiced finish. Lovely stuff, and a great result from a dodgy cork.
  • 1998 J & HA Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Riesling Spätlese *** - Germany, Rheinhessen (10/31/2020)
    Last bottle was nearly five years ago and not terribly encouraging. This bottle was lovely, and even passed the wife test. When Laura says “this doesn’t suck” you know you are into something good. Golden fruit, brown spices, light touches of honey and oil, this was actually much richer than a 1995 Strub Auslese served alongside. We drank through this very quickly, as it was so inviting and well balanced. Bright, complex and delicious.
Decisions are made by those who show up