The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Larkmead Ascending

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: The Larkmead Ascending

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:42 pm

2017 Larkmead Vineyards Firebelle - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/27/2020)
If you are planning to open a bottle of this, give it a very long decant. I went with four hours after a double decant, and it was barely sufficient. Even after that amount of time it was still tight, and only started to show itself a full two hours after I started sampling it, six hours after opening! When it did start to show its cards I got something that kept to a classical Bordeaux blend profile. It carried tart cassis fruit, a dusty, earthy undertone, and very well managed tannins. Even when it was still closed in it was not austere or painful. It was just shy, poking it’s nose out every once in a while, but refusing to come out and play. I finally put 1/3 of the bottle aside for 48 hours, and on revisiting it had developed greater palate presence and richness, adding a subtle cherry tone to the cassis fruit, and bringing a little more California sunshine to the mix. Overall it’s a classically styled wine, and I am all in on that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: WTN: The Larkmead Ascending

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:04 pm

Having another bottle tonight. It really is delicious. Wish the Larkmead wines were not so expensive.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Having another bottle tonight. It really is delicious. Wish the Larkmead wines were not so expensive.

Looked it up on WineSearcher. Expensive it is. I have a quest for finding value in Napa. Buehler and some Louis M. Martini have been quite good. Other ideas?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 pm

Pat G wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Having another bottle tonight. It really is delicious. Wish the Larkmead wines were not so expensive.

Looked it up on WineSearcher. Expensive it is. I have a quest for finding value in Napa. Buehler and some Louis M. Martini have been quite good. Other ideas?

It’s not Napa, but Ian Brand has a lovely Cab for $25.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:44 pm

I've been drinking 2016 Martin Ray Synergism and it is wonderfully complex (for a young wine) and well balanced at under $30. I bought 4 then 12 and should have bought 12 more. Just lovely.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:22 pm

Thanks. David, I learned to search under just "Brand" and now have possibilities. Jim, Martin Ray will also go on the buy list as it's in the local area.

Good ideas for cooler weather. Always searching.