The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gag me

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Gag me

by Jenise » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Two notes from last week:

2017 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie Chardonnay

34 years ago in Paris on our honeymoon, a bottle of FG CM at Yves St. Laurent's restaurant changed my life forever. The complexity was like nothing I had experienced at home in California, and I came home from that trip determined to find out why I'd never discovered that kind of spectrum in American chardonnays. Sentimental puss that I am, I occasionally buy this producer so the style generally doesn't fit in with what I have learned to love best. In this case: apple, confit lemon, white pepper and some evident oak though pleasantly less intrusive than I thought might be the case at this age. Should integrate well with time.

And another night we had this one. My first Corsini barolo that I can recall. This one's been in my cellar for years:

2004 Podere Ruggeri Corsini Barolo Corsini Nebbiolo
Dense, almost opaque, blue-black fruit with tar and dusty tannins. Plummy and plodding, with the lack of acidity and bright notes nebbiolo fans crave totally exposed by a red-sauced pasta. I generally like this producer for friendly, affordable young barberas, so this disappointed. Don't have another, and I'm glad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov