The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Free Willis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Free Willis

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:34 pm

• 2011 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett #16 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (9/4/2020)
    Paired with the 2006 in a flight for my tasting group, this was still very young and juicy-fruity, though it has slimmed down a bit from its rather thick youth. The sinews are starting to show, which is a good thing for wines from 2011, which were often bit fat/flat on release. Balance is getting better, and another five years won't hurt one bit. Let this one get into even better shape. It's never going to be a model, but it will clean up nicely.
  • 2006 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (9/4/2020)
    Paired with the 2011 in a flight for my tasting group, this showed substantially richer, while also showing sleeker and more refined. The fruit tends to wards the honeyed, as is often the case with 2006, yet it's an element of complexity rather than detracting. I would never peg this as a kabinett, but rather spatlese with serious style points. Golden apple, peach, pineapple and a drizzle of honey makes for a great pairing with blue cheese, and it also drank exceptionally well on its own.
Decisions are made by those who show up