The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Epic Fa(i)lmet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Epic Fa(i)lmet

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:11 am

2012 Nathalie Falmet Champagne "Cuvee ZH 302" Le Val Cornet - France, Champagne (9/4/2020)
Served in a flight with the #303 Chardonnay Cuvee below, this reminded me of the almost dour seriousness of the #318 Pinot Noir cuvee. Creating a Pinot Meunier-based Champagne that doesn't really show any fruit is no mean feat. This actually had a fantastic back end depth, but with no entry or mid-palate interest it fell flat except on an intellectual level. I guess these Falmet wines are just not my thing.
[*]2012 Nathalie Falmet Champagne "Cuvee ZH 303" Le Val Cornet - France, Champagne (9/4/2020)
Second Champagne from this producer, and second of the Le Val Cornet "Parcelle" series. This one from Chardonnay was much more pleasurable than the Pinot Noir version I tried several months ago. It actually showed fruit, and had good brightness and length. It still did not capture my imagination - I kept searching for something to grab a hold of, and there was nothing there. a pleasant Champgane but not much else. Yet again, what's the appeal?[/list]
Decisions are made by those who show up