The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with Friends and Frito-Lay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Wines with Friends and Frito-Lay

by Jenise » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:29 pm

So we did some patio dining/distancing with three other couples a few days ago. Food was going to be take-out BBQ, so nothing was too lofty. First out were two whites and one of those Bertrand roses that are suddenly ubiquitous. So much so that I didn't even take notes on it, other than to think while drinking it that it's tangy and delicious and better than you expect for something ubiquitous in a pretty bottle made for girl-bait.

On the table for sanitary snacks, our host provided a genius giant bag of individual small bags of Frito-Lay chips. Ever loving a contest, and especially a silly one, I insisted we find the best wine-food matches. The Bertrand rose took the Cheetos. And the Lays potato chips were good with everything.

2018 Montonale Lugana Montunal Turbiana, Verdicchio
Margot's bottle. Fresh, lively, good complexity, clean/little or no oak, with green plum, apple, bitter almond and a dash of petroleum notes on the finish. Just loved it--I would search for this. Should be around $16 retail. Hands down our favorite with the Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos.

2017 Viñas del Vero Somontano Garnacha Blanca La Miranda de Secastilla Grenache Blanc
Margot's bottle. A very nice grenache blanc here, pear notes with white flowers and good acidity. This one didn't work with the Nacho Cheese flavor at all, but was the clear winner for the Cool Ranch Doritos. :)

Then came the reds:

2013 Result of a Crush Washington Red Blend
Margot's bottle. Seeing how much I liked this in a tasting note of three years ago emphasizes my dismay (but not surprise, it wasn't made for holding) at finding last night's bottle OTH: low on fruit and heavily weighted toward green olives and charcoal. Drink up.

2014 Secret Squirrel Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley
Ditto re the syrah above, bland. Its best days are gone.

2016 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Red Mountain
Layne's bottle. Extracted sweetness blurs the Red Mountain identity but is consistent with the CSM house style. An ambitious attempt at higher-end elegance that works. It just wouldn't be my first choice.

2016 Saviah Cellars Cabernet Franc Walla Walla Valley

Margot's bottle. Very good definition and balance, true to the grape. My favorite red of the night.

2014 Eight Bells Shellback Red Yakima Valley Red Blend
Chuck's bottle. New winery to me. Med weight, soft tannins, evident oak, pleasant but not memorable.

2011 Mckinley Springs Cabernet Sauvignon Horse Heaven Hills
My bottle. Fairly tight and astringent black fruit and not showing the mature notes I enjoyed in the previous bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov