The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Summer Porch Pounders (contributions welcome!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Summer Porch Pounders (contributions welcome!)

by Jenise » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Discuss your candidates here!

Something I buy nearly every summer are a few bottles each of Craggy Range and Greywacke Sauv Blanc because Costco carries them for around $15 each and they're no-brainers to serve to anyone who shows up. Last week I bought a bottle each of the 2019's, which are in, and yesterday Bob and I compared them. Actually, that wasn't my original intent, I opened the Greywacke to serve with a cold artichoke but then opened the CR when the Greywacke disappointed.

2019 Greywacke Sauv Blanc, NZ
Light on the fruit and dilute, hollow. Only place it goes deep is on sweetness, a simple-syrup, chaptalized kind of sugary flavor on the palate and finish. For a zero-sugar person like myself it's disappointing, in fact the first vintage of this in eight years or so straight of buying it every summer. So what about the Craggy Range?

2019 Craggy Range Sauv Blanc, NZ
This is more like it. Dusty minerality pervades nose and palate, plus mild gooseberry fruit with lime peel and fresh cut grass. Good acidity, very dry.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

Re: Summer Porch Pounders (contributions welcome!)

by Pat G » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Pewsey Vale Dry Riesling, Eden Valley, Australia. Generally <$16. Quite refreshing.

Albarino: Burgans, Martin Codax. <$16. Latest vintage available.

Vinho Verde' : many <$10. Don't care for Broadbent, but there are always a few offerings. Many are NV. Aveleda is reliable.

Pop and pour cheers!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 pm

I don’t have a porch.

But the ESJ Bone-Jolly Gamay Rosé sure qualifies.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:15 am

Forlorn Hope Queen of the Sierra Rose
Had one a few weeks ago, went back and grabbed 6 more. Color was insane, looked like Strawberry Lemonade. Tasted like fresh fruit and had a nice mineral edge, one of my favorite roses in a long time. May not be widely available, but at $15 it was killer
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Vin Gris de Cigare from Bonny Doon. As I understand it they're not making this rose anymore, but the New Hampshire State Liquor Stores are still selling the 2017 at discount.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm

We have the 2018 Bonny Doon in our cellar. Visited the tasting room last fall, had no idea they would be closing. Glad we went.

They were a reliable producer. Now that the acquisition has occurred, understand it may transition to big-production/mass market stuff. Who knows?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Just about everything Randall Grahm put his hand to turned out well. And I loved the quirky nature of the labels. He also created two successful spin-off labels: Big House and Pacific Rim. But he said in an interview that I read that he never really made much money from them, although those he sold them off to have had financial success. Brilliant winemaker, not so good businessman, I guess.

I heard that the new owners of Bonny Doon have stopped making the Cigare Volant wines. I think your 2018 was their last vintage.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

by Pat G » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Could be, Paul. We also purchased the 2018 Grenache Blanc and 2013 Syrah X Block. Along with a bottle or two for gifts. Wine Searcher is showing some availability in our state...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 am

2015 Pewsey Vale Riesling.
Any Donnhoff Riesley.
2018 Domaine de Pellehaut Gascony Rose.
2014 Viognier Champs du Carra Pays d oc.
2016 Contino Reserva
Warsteiner Double Hopped Pilsner (Germany)

Just for night 1 and 2 : .but how finishing off with Dellamotta Brut?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Any cider fans? We live in an area exploding with small cideries doing some great experimental stuff. We even have a cider bar in Bellingham, now. One of my new favorites is a hoppy cider from Herb's Ciders, called something like Hazy Day or Hazy Blur or Hazy something else. Bone dry, and the hops add an interesting element without tasting like an IPA (I don't like hoppy beer). Love pouring one of these, only 6% alcohol, for a light aperitif.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Any cider fans?

Wouldn't call myself a fan but I agree they can be delicious refreshing beverages for casual drinking on a hot day. One of my favorite farmers market sources for fruit makes a very high quality line of ciders. I've had some at farmers market dinners and they were perfect for the occasion. But I never get around to buying any for the house because that same niche is not needed at home. Maybe one day when we eventually get back to entertaining!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm

I like that I can pour something dry to sip on while cooking, or have a light, cold refresher on the patio prior to enjoying a red wine with dinner without adding significantly to the alcohol load.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 pm

Jenise wrote:I like that I can pour something dry to sip on while cooking, or have a light, cold refresher on the patio prior to enjoying a red wine with dinner without adding significantly to the alcohol load.

And I suppose most ciders are fairly light on the palate as well.

I have several beers in the refrigerator - local versions of saison or other farmhouse ales, hefeweizen, pilsner, altbier - mostly 5-6% alcohol. When we have guests these days it is for a late afternoon beer on the deck. But then my palate is sufficiently muddled that I don't go through the trouble of opening wine for dinner and have another beer instead.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:30 pm

Here's a good one:

2017 Jean-Claude Thévenet & Fils Mâcon-Pierreclos White Wine

Easy-going blend that doesn't taste as chardonnayish as you'd expect from the Macon. Bright, mineral, floral. Good summer value.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:20 pm

I kind of favor Vinho Verdes. Niepoort entry level Duoro white, Dialogo, is also a fun white.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Any cider fans? We live in an area exploding with small cideries doing some great experimental stuff. We even have a cider bar in Bellingham, now. One of my new favorites is a hoppy cider from Herb's Ciders, called something like Hazy Day or Hazy Blur or Hazy something else. Bone dry, and the hops add an interesting element without tasting like an IPA (I don't like hoppy beer). Love pouring one of these, only 6% alcohol, for a light aperitif.

Getting there. Vermont is a craft cider area, and I am slowly sampling things. Eden is very good. Just had my first cider from Tin Hat, and enjoyed it very much. It was absolutely bone dry!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:But the ESJ Bone-Jolly Gamay Rosé sure qualifies.

Not the Rosé, but we just opened the 2017 Bone-Jolly Gamay last night and finished it tonight. I thought it was a bit more edgy than recent vintages of B-J, both on the nose and because of the sparkling acidity. And better on Day 2 than upon opening, IMO. Thanks, Steve!