The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some unrecorded notes from spring of 2019

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Some unrecorded notes from spring of 2019

by JC (NC) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:20 pm

2014 Gerard Boulay La Cote Sancerre, Loire Valley, France. Sauvignon Blanc grape. Labeled as 13% abv. Medium gold color. Seems to have almost a Chardonnay nose--possibly aging quickly; I'm not certain. On the palate, it is fresher and more typical of the Sauvignon Blanc grape with citrus and lemongrass and celery. Quite pleasing and refreshing. Not oxidized or over-the-hill at all. 91-92 pts. (March 2019)

2017 Scherrer Dry Rose' of Syrah. Sonoma County, CA. Labeled as 13% abv. Screwcap. According to my notes, this may be a rose' of Syrah. Really pleasant dry rose'. Pink/coral color. Nose of red berries and citrus. Nice acid. Good chilled or at room temperature. Appealing raspberry nuance. (March 2019)

2016 Lagier & Meredith Rose' Wine, Mt. Veeder, Napa Valley, CA .. 13.8% abv. An orangey/coral color with clarity and viscosity. This, IMO, has a floral mystique along with forward fruit. Spicy notes follow on the tail end. In fact, spice seems to be a bit overpowering in my estimation. (March 2019)

2009 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Olivet Lane, Russian River Valley, CA. Methode a l'Ancienne. 13.9% abv. Dense, dark purple color. The flavor is ripe and rich in dark berries, a blend of blue and black fruit. I think it is too heavy and hearty to pair with salmon but it might complement grilled or roasted fowl or even smoked ham or brisket. (I had it with smoked ham.) This may be displaying secondary elements but it was not tired or faded. (April 2019)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Some unrecorded notes from spring of 2019

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 am

Considering how gutsy the Lagier Meredith Syrah is, I am not shocked by your rosé note.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Some unrecorded notes from spring of 2019

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:09 pm

Thanks. I really like the Boulay wines.
I've enjoyed Scherrer reds but don't think I've seen the rose.