The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

'07 Powers Syrah Reserve, Cougar Vineyard, Wahluke Slope, WA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

'07 Powers Syrah Reserve, Cougar Vineyard, Wahluke Slope, WA

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:00 am

14% abv. Darkly colored and opaque. The scent and flavors are of dark berries and the wine is slightly brooding. I believe it has reached full maturity and would not benefit from further aging. I drank this one evening with meatloaf and mashed potatoes and another evening with macaroni and cheese. Only cost $17.99 when I bought it years ago. A bottle I had in 2012 I gave a rating of 89 or 90 points; this time I rated it at 88 points. In 2012 I thought it had enough grip and structure for aging potential but I think it may be slightly past prime now and I still have one or two bottles to consume.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: '07 Powers Syrah Reserve, Cougar Vineyard, Wahluke Slope

by Jenise » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Most 07's peaked years ago (I skipped the vintage), and Powers doesn't make their wines with the long haul in mind (they're a value-oriented winery) so unfortunately I'm not surprised that you find this on the fade.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:50 pm

Are you referring to the 2007 vintage in Washington specifically? I have had some very good 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon from California.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Yes I am, Jane. Was fairly hot up here, similar to 09. Attractively voluptuous out of the gate especially for fans of that style, but lower in the elements needed for aging.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov