The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Beaune-er

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Beaune-er

by Jenise » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:14 pm

2010 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune Pinot Noir
A cellar orphan, no prior experience with this wine. Drinking very well right now without decant. Rich color, aromatic nose, strong berry/cherry flavors and some earth with plenty of tannins. Nicely maturing but not yet old, in fact quite admirable bordering on crazy-good for $18 purchase price not-all-that-many years ago. No sediment.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Beaune-er

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:46 pm

That is always a fine value (yep...value in Burgundy) in good or better vintages. There's been a lot of those lately, so frequently a good buy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:06 pm

Chorey-les-Beaune is just the sort of Côte d'Or place where I would be looking for QPR value alongside Ladoix, Saint-Romain, Santenay, Marsannay, Fixin...., always provided that one is in reliable hands of a good producer.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:10 pm

Yes for my tastes the Drouhin Chorey and Cote de Beaune are solidly reliable QPR winners. Pretty sure the Chorey is a fully owned parcel, and the Cote de Beaune is assemblage of younger vines from Beaune 1ers, Looks like I should have '06 and '10 Chorey, will try to dig out.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 am

I didn't know anything about the Chorey when I bought this (at of all places, a BevMo, a place I avoid like the plague), I just trusted the Drouhin name. For the price I expected an early drinker, and then it got lost. I actually removed it from inventory because I was so sure it wasn't still around, not that I remembered drinking it. And I don't believe I've ever seen a bottle anywhere else--and no wonder, at this quality for that kind of price, it should fly off the shelf!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Hmm. LWS has the Chorey for $30 by the case. If I'm down in the area I'll see if they will sell a single bottle. You never know.

I, too am wary of BevMo. IMHO they mark wines up, then put them on the 5-cent sale. Too much research to see if we'd be getting a good deal. Also notorious for selling some white wines that are just too old.

They do have occasional good values on brew, so go there to get that for Dear Husband. Occasionally.

If we get a local TW BevMo will have real competition....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Not IMHO, but a fact, BevMo is a really dishonest retailer. Their shtick is 2-for-1 sales of wine that you can find on the internet for less than half their so-called shelf price which was, of course, never a shelf price at all. Anyone who buys a singleton is getting gouged by 200%. And they sell lots of cheap wine with no background history under various labels which I suspect all came out of the same tank farm in Bakersfield or Fresno. :) They take big advantage of the gullible buyer who doesn't comparison-shop. I pretty much ONLY go in there when I've been shopping for a wine for a big group tasting and exhausted all other local possibilities.

TW is a million times better.