The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone can help to ship wine internationally

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

gigi.aresy

Rank

Just got here

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Anyone can help to ship wine internationally

by gigi.aresy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:45 pm

I am a private wine collector. However, I will need to move out of US and stay in Asia in the future. I'd like to move about 150 bottles (my collections) from New York to Hong Kong. However, I am not getting any positive help and those forwarders told me that I need a license to export that many bottles. As far as I know, there's no import restriction in Hong Kong for wine. Why I need a license to export wine from my premises?
Anyone can give me good forwarders to do the job?

Thanks~

Gigi
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Anyone can help to ship wine internationally

by Jenise » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am

Just thinking out loud, Gigi, but it doesn't make sense that you'd require a license. That's why you hire someone else; they use their license(s) where needed to do that for you. Moving alcohol's tricky but not impossible. And 12-13 cases isn't much, actually. Have you talked to an airline about just taking it with you as excess baggage?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:15 am

Hildebrand is I think largest international mover, generally deal in containers for industry, but I just looked and website says "no job too small", and I do know people who have used for pallet size loads. Connoisseur International is another big shipper, and Seabrooke (both UK based I think)
This is a pretty US-centric site (withsome Europe and Aus) , probably best to ask on a HK site as it would be at that end there would be customs declarations (if there are any).
But 13 cases seems like something you could do yourself via airlines or FedEx. Any family moving with you? Or are you making trips before actual move?
Good luck!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:33 am

It actually sounds like UPS would do if declaration for personal use
https://www.ups.com/media/en/internatio ... -guide.pdf