The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 70 Cavalotto replaces corked '64 Produttori

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 70 Cavalotto replaces corked '64 Produttori

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:47 pm

So 1964 Produttori di Barbaresco Barbaresco was on the menu for our week Zoom tasting. I had gotten 7 bottles out a few weeks in advance so people could stand up, mine was upright more than a month. That solved the sediment issue, but did nothing to help with the TCA, which had more than 50 years to really thoroughly contaminate my wine, wow I’ve seldom experienced anything like that. Wet cardboard assaulted me the second the cork came out. Luckily I had a bottle of the 1970 Cavallotto "Bricco Boschis" Barolo that had been sitting up since Feb (cancelled tasting in March). A little grumpy and soy-ish at first, within couple of hours pretty classic Nebbiolo- black and red cherry, lots of leather, a little tar and truffle. Tannins resolved, good acids, maybe not the longest but quite tasty. A-

Some of the others got pretty bottles of the PdB, couple advanced, one totally maderized. C’est la vie.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency