The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1975 Ducru-Beaucaillou⁣

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

stas.medvedev

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:12 am

WTN: 1975 Ducru-Beaucaillou⁣

by stas.medvedev » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:16 pm

⁣This is my 3rd and the last bottle over the past year. It definitely sits at its plateau now and fully awake. Difficult to say when the drinking window will close down. ⁣

Lots of energy and precision. Cabernet Sauvignon dominant. Perfumed black currant jam with leaves. Complex tertiary aromas make a beautiful bouquet. Balance of tannins, fruits and acidity at its perfection. Tannins have soften but not yet faded away.⁣

Undoubted 2nd Growth quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amateur wine writer. Interested in theory and enjoy practice.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 1975 Ducru-Beaucaillou⁣

by Tim York » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks for that TN, Stas. I have a couple of bottles of this but have abstained from stretching for them because I have found the few 75s which have come my way quite fiercely tannic. 1975 was a vintage hyped at the outset but which many observers have found disappointing. I'll now feel more confident about opening one or both of these.

I had a dozen D-B 70, which was excellent at its best, after about 25 years; I have one left. Also a couple of 86s, another tough vintage, and one 95, an often disappointing vintage.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:48 am

Nice note, nice photo.
There are still some 75s Medocs that have brutish tannins, but overall I think most have finally become more approachable (Pomerol has been inviting and good for quite a while). But some of the approachable ones aren't that tasty. But I also am enjoying the Ducru, have I think 4 more. My last note (from 2019)
Sweet cassis but dominated by tertiary aromas of cigar smoke and leather, really classic, gets tobacco-y with air, fun bottle. A-
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:15 pm

I've enjoyed many 75s and still cellar a mixed case of them. The trick is to give the wines attention once you open them. They may need to open up and that can take awhile. We had one guy in our small wine group open a bottle (I forget which one) taste it and declare it dead and hard and tossed it out. I kept mine in my glass and in an hour or so it opened up and became very good. I gave the person that brought it a taste as an object lesson in making precipitate decisions about just opened wines.

OTOH, that can seem closed when opened and then just fade away from there, so you never know.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:39 am

Opened a '75 Ducru Fri, this is really in a fine place.