The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two New Ridges...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two New Ridges...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Tried these two new ATP Ridges last Sunday at Pig+Fig:
1. Ridge Zin Jimsomare MonteBelloVnyd/SantaCruzMtns (100% Zin; 15.3%; 13 brls; bttld: May'19; Drk: 3/19-3/34: EB) 2017: Very dark color; slight milk of magnesia/vanilla/Am.oak rather intense blackberry/Zin/very spicy/chocolaty complex beautiful nose; fairly tart strong blackberry/Zin/very spicy some dusty/OV some vanilla/Am.oak fairly complex flavor w/ some hard tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/very spicy/Zin/ripe/chocolaty modest vanilla/Am.oak fairly dusty/OV slight earthy bit complex finish w/ ample hard/chewey tannins; lots of very spicy blackberry fruit for a Ridge ATP Zin and of near LyttonSprings level of quality. $36.00 (ATP)
_______
2. Ridge Charbono FredianiVyd/Calistoga/NapaVlly (13.0%; 8 brls; bttld: Aug 2019; Drk: 6/19-6/26-6/27: JO; tartaric acid) 2018: Very dark near black color; strong vanilla/Am.oak rather chocolaty/earthy/loamy/licorice rather dusty/OV bit rustic nose; fairly tart strong vanilla/Am.oak chocolaty/licorice/pungent some earthy/loamy bit rough/rustic interesting flavor w/ ample rough tannins; very long strong vanilla/Am.oak strong chocolaty/licorice/pungent some earthy/loamy somewhat rustic finish w/ ample rough tannins; a very interesting rather rough earthy/loamy Ridge red. $36.00 (ATP)
2. Charbono: Once fairly widely planted in the NapaVlly, but now mostly pulled in favor of Cab. So sad. DNA, it is identical to the French Corbeau of the Savoie region. Have never see'd a French/Savoie Corbeau. It tends to produce a rather earthy/rustic/oafish kind of red. This reminded me a lot of some of the old Inglenook Charbonos.
I was blindsided by the appearance of a Charbono from Ridge. This is a new variety and new vnyd for Ridge. They did quite a good job with it. If they're going to be taking on new vnyds, I wish Ridge would go back to the Esola/Amador vnyd. Returning to the Occidental/von Weidlich vnyd is out of the question. Besides, EricSussman makes a terrific Zin from thos grapes. I've heard that Ridge is also poking arounf Lodi as well.
Tom