The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus: Open that Bottle MONTH ... EXTENDED!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: June Wine Focus: Open that Bottle MONTH!

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Important to get a handle on ageability.

Their regular PN has a 5-7 year window usually.

I know, which is why I made a point to bring it up. I didn't see this as an 8-10 year wine--my usual window for hanging onto pinots. But it's so GOOD, would you want to wait? I recommend you experience one soon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Good plan! Now - should I try a different one than you did....?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:22 pm

Probably. You and I have tasted together over the years often enough that we understand each other's palates and can trust that we'd be on the same page.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Every "that bottle" has a story. Some are more exciting, some evoke specific memories. This bottle is a reminder of another time and another place. I bought a case at half price when Table & Vine was relocating their store. Should have bought two cases.

So not the "best" wine I am going to open this month, but a memorable one.

2001 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles-St.-Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (6/1/2020)
I said three years ago that I would be queuing up my remaining bottles of this wine for near-term drinking. Then plans met reality. Still four more to go after this one, but hopefully similar results. Evolving red fruit and vibrant earth aromas lead into a vibrant palate expression that carries the earthiness through the finish. It's fabulously clean, while also showing a more rustic side of Gevrey than some of the more famous sites. It's hard to reconcile the bit of wildness with the nuance of the flavors. I guess that's just Burgundy - ever a mystery. Not the be all and end all of Burgundy expression, but if I wanted to introduce someone to the joys of aged Burgs, this would not be a bad wine at all to make my case.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi, all. Looking at my inventory, there are a few possibilities for June. All are, for us, higher-end splurge.

Sojourn PN Sonoma Coast, Sangiacomo Vineyard, 2013
J. Bookwalter, Red Blend Protagonist, Red Mtn, WA, 2007
Rasa, Riseling, Columbia Vly WA, 2013
Domenico, Aglianico, Amador County CA, 2012

Rather diverse West Coast options. Ideas welcome!

Meanwhile, got another Rasa offer today for Occam's Razor and QED. Sure most of the Rasa fans out there got same, but if anyone wants details just PM me and I can send along. May require being on current mailing list, or not. Who knows? Obviously trying to sell the wine. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Think that Bookwalter likely needs to go, Pat. 2007 wasn't a 'keeper' style vintage.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:38 pm

That reminds me - I 'found' a couple of bottles of 1993 Portteus Cabernet Sauvignon in the cellar. What do you think the chances of that being a good thing might be......?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:44 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That reminds me - I 'found' a couple of bottles of 1993 Portteus Cabernet Sauvignon in the cellar. What do you think the chances of that being a good thing might be......?

The wine always has the last word!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:That reminds me - I 'found' a couple of bottles of 1993 Portteus Cabernet Sauvignon in the cellar. What do you think the chances of that being a good thing might be......?

The wine always has the last word!

Sounds like my wife....... :wink:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:29 pm

From my favorite winery in all the world...

2007 Dönnhoff Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (6/2/2020)
Unfortunately my last bottle, but what a wine! Grilled pear, cinnamon spice, peach, ginger, fresh hay, etcetera...There’s more going on than I can possibly catalog. The acidity is enlivening, but not dominating. An infinity pool of flavor, with a finish that extends to the horizon. It’s drinking incredibly well now, but has the body and structure to go on for ten more year or even longer.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:34 pm

Dunno. Haven't found '93 to be standout among older vintages of anything in Washington in the few verticals I've had in the way'92, '94 and '95 usually impress. I think I mentioned to you that Paul (Portteus) poured his 84 and 85 for us. One was old but deliciously necrotic, and the other actually impressive. Those were his first two vintages, I believe.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm

I opened another bottle of 1986 Mouton. This one had an intact cork (the first bottle's cork had leakage all the way around) and the wine was more of what I'd been expecting. Tight as a drum when first poured out, but with aeration lovely, complex dark fruit aromas appeared. Full flavor on the palate, with a hint of tannins. Long finish. Now this is more like it!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Good for you, Paul, that's swinging for the fences!! I own that wine. Last one we opened was about four years ago, and totally a wow wine--the kind of experience that makes you realize you forgot just how amazing the First Growths can be.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Jenise wrote:Think that Bookwalter likely needs to go, Pat. 2007 wasn't a 'keeper' style vintage.

Thanks, Jenise. Wine was planned for 2020, so why not in June?

Developing an appreciation for Red Mtn. reds.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:15 pm

I had never really bought Sauternes until the 2001 vintage was lauded as legendary. Holy cow!

2001 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (6/3/2020)
Succulent, mesmerizing and downright delicious. A perfect blend of spice, honey-laced butter, concentrated yellow fruit and a subtle finishing kick of licorice, makes this one of the most complex sweet wines I have had in a very long time. It’s a completely different animal than it was 17 or so years ago when it came out, but no less compelling. A treasure in a glass.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Oooh Dave, major envy on that one. I only had one bottle (a 375) and opened it at Christmas early on. It was the most perfect Sauternes I've ever tasted and made me realize how, while I admire aged bottles, I'm kind of missing out on some of the fireworks by not also drinking some young.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:22 pm

I still have a whole case of 2001 Rieussec. I'll have to open one.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Oooh Dave, major envy on that one. I only had one bottle (375) and opened it at Christmas early on. It was the most perfect Sauternes I've ever tasted and made me realize how, while I admire aged bottles, I'm kind of missing out on some of the fireworks by not also drinking some young.

It was utter magic when it was released, as was La Tour Blanche. I blew through most of my 12 bottles in the first 18 months. It's a totally different wine now, but still amazing.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:23 pm

The 2000 Mouton Rothschild is mesmerizing. I had two modest pours (nine of us were sharing the bottle), and the first one was all red fruit, leather, tobacco and subtle wood spice. It was beautiful. The bottle had been opened eight hours ahead, but not decanted. About two hours later I noticed there was a good 1/3 of the bottle left, so I took another small pour. I smelled it, and was transported. I was no longer on the back patio, but instead inside an old, small, rustic Cape Cod Christmas shop. The aromas of brown spices, cedar, dried fruit, aged oak, salty air and worn antiques took me directly to Chatham, MA at age 11, wandering and looking, engrossed in the time I spent in a place that seemed so far away, but was only 4 hours from home.

Sigh.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Clos Roche Blanche 2012 "L'Arpent Rouge" Touraine ($18.89)

I had two bottles left of this delicious Loire Pineau d'Aunis. Now there's only one left! Not meant for long aging, perhaps, this eight-year-old wine has taken on a hint of bronze at the edge of its clear, dark-ruby color, and a whiff of oxidation that becomes more apparent after an hour in the glass. It's still very much alive, though, offering that characteristic Pineau d'Aunis blast of freshly ground white pepper backed by tart cranberries and subtle stony minerality on the nose and palate, with a modest 12% alcohol that doesn't get in the way. A complex mix of pepper and red fruit with crisp acidity lingers in a very long finish. It's a beauty as it moves into old age, but even if you have better cellar conditions than I do, I wouldn't keep it much longer.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:[It was utter magic when it was released, as was La Tour Blanche. I blew through most of my 12 bottles in the first 18 months. It's a totally different wine now, but still amazing.

I bought a case each of 2001 Rieussec, La Tour Blanche, and Suideraut. I had enough late-80s Sauternes that I managed to keep my paws off of the 2001s. Sounds like it's time to open a few.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Clos Roche Blanche 2012 "L'Arpent Rouge" Touraine ($18.89)

I had two bottles left of this delicious Loire Pineau d'Aunis. Now there's only one left! Not meant for long aging, perhaps, this eight-year-old wine has taken on a hint of bronze at the edge of its clear, dark-ruby color, and a whiff of oxidation that becomes more apparent after an hour in the glass. It's still very much alive, though, offering that characteristic Pineau d'Aunis blast of freshly ground white pepper backed by tart cranberries and subtle stony minerality on the nose and palate, with a modest 12% alcohol that doesn't get in the way. A complex mix of pepper and red fruit with crisp acidity lingers in a very long finish. It's a beauty as it moves into old age, but even if you have better cellar conditions than I do, I wouldn't keep it much longer.

Unicorn alert!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Wow - some of you guys like drinking Sauternes very young! I still have 83, 86 and 88s to finish up and consider anything from this millennium to be too young. I get the attraction of youthful sweet delight, but I guess I just prefer the complexity that age brings.

Will say that I had a 2009 Rieussec awhile ago that was fantabulous - hard to keep the corkscrew off things like that while waiting for maturity (mine, or the wine's)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:59 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Unicorn alert!

unicorn.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PreviousNext