The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Spanish Wine Tasting Notes (long)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN Spanish Wine Tasting Notes (long)

by Tom N. » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Spanish wine
is just fine
all the time

The following tasting notes are on the wines that I tasted at 4 different wineries during our visit to Spain. I will start with the whites, then rosados and finsih with reds.

Whites

Marques de Riscal 2018 Sauvignon blanc from Rueda
Tasted at the winery in Elciego on Oct 1

Pale straw yellow, with kiwi fruit, honeydew melon and lime notes on the nose. Ripe tropical fruit and mouth watering acidity on the midpalate. The medium length finish had grapefruit notes and acidic fruit. Unusual wine since the predominant white from Rueda is verdejo.

Loved this wine and bought one to have in our room. Beautifully balanced and refreshing.

La Rioja Alta 2018 Pazo de Seoane from Rias Baixas 12.5% abv
Mostly Albarino with some Viura

Tasted at the winery on Oct 3

Pale yellow with green apple and some melon notes on the nose. Palate cleanser deluxe with beautiful balance of green apple and honeydew with bracing acidity. The medium length finish of fruity acidity makes this wine a refreshing sipper.

Muga 2018 Blanco from Rioja 13% abv
90% Viura and 10% Malvasia

Pale yellow with a somewhat shy nose of kiwi. Nice balanced midpalate of green apple fruit, balancing acidity and smooth tannins. Medium length finish of green fruit and acidity. Nice white from rioja.

CVNE 2018 Monopole from Rioja 13% abv
made from100% Viura free run juice

Light straw with green apple, light honeydew melon and hints of pear on the nose. Nice midpalate with obvious tannic structure (unusual for a free run juice wine) balanced our by green fruits and juicy acidity. Medium length finish of Granny Smith apples and prominent acidity. Nice wine that acid lovers would really enjoy but a bit to acidic for my taste.

Rosado

Muga 2018 rosado from Rioja
80% garnacha, 10% viura, 10% tempranillo
tasted at the winery on Oct 3

Pale salmon with strawberry and whiffs of red raspberry on the expressive nose
Midpalate with juicy red fruit particularly red raspberry. Medium length finish of acidic red fruit. Nice rosado that I would buy. But I particularly like Spanish rosados.

Red Wines

Marques de Riscal 2010 150th anniversary Gran Reserva from Rioja 14% abv
tempranillo based with some graciano
tasted Oct 1 at the winery

Deep garnet colour with base notes of leather, cassis, black raspberry and purple plums on the lovely and intoxicating nose. Gorgeously sensuous midpalate of juicy dark fruit, silky tannins and balancing acidity with superb balance. A long finish of palate pleasing dark fruit, acidity and tingly tannins. This is what I call a seamless wine with great depth of flavour that you just savour to the last drop. Great wine, great balance and, of course, I bought a bottle.

Marques de Riscal 2015 Reserva from rioja
tempranillo based
tasted Oct 1 at the winery

Garnet red with an expressive nose oak and vanilla with hints of blackberries and black cherries. Nice midpalate of dark fruit and a balance of acidity and smooth tannins. Relatively long finish of tingly tannins and acidic fruit. Nice wine with the nose being a bit oaky and a tad short on fruit.

La Rioja Alta 2001 Ardanza Reserva from Rioja13.5% abv
80% tempranillo and 20% garnacha
tasted Oct 3 at the winery

Deep ruby colour with a slightly oaky nose with strong mushroomy earthiness bordering on barnyardy notes. Midpalate of light red raspberry nicely balanced with acidity and grippy tannins. A beautiful long finish of red fruit, acidity and balancing tannic structure that was just the best feature of this wine. Definitely an old world style wine that is still improving with age. It opened up and showed more fruit in the glass.

La Rioja Alta 2010 Gran Reserva 904
tempranillo based

Clear ruby red colour with earthy mushrooms and cherry notes on the nose. Black and tart cherries on the nicely balanced midpalate with fine tannins. Beautifully long finish of fruity acidity and tannic notes at the end. Like the previous wine, definitely old world style that could us more aging time to reach its peak as it also opened up in the glass.

Muga 2015 Selecion Especial from rioja14% abv
tempranillo

Deep garnet with purple hues. Expressive nose of black cherry, black raspberry and a hint of cassis. Midpalate featuring sensually smooth tannins with dark fruit especially blackberries and juicy acidity. Medium to long length finish with grippy tannins and light notes of dark fruit. A well made wine.

Muga 2011 Prada Enea Gran Reserva from rioja14.5% abv
80% tempranillo and 20% garnacha and graciano

Deep garnet red with purple hues. Deep nose of dark fruits, especially blackberries and black raspberries. Gorgeous midpalate of blackberries, purple plums and hints of black raspberries balanced with smooth tannins and refreshing acidity. Long finish of dark fruit and fine grained tannins. Beautiful wine that I would definitely buy.

Muga 2015 Torre from rioja14.5% abv
75% tempranillo 15% mazuelo and 10% graciano

Deep garnet purple/red with the darkest colour of the three Muga reds. Oaky nose with notes of cassis and blackberry. Dark fruit especially blackberry on the midpalate with good balance between fruit, juicy acidity and well-integrated tannins. A longish finish of smooth tannins and dark fruit with a bit of alcoholic heat at the end. A very fine wine.

CUNE 2015 Reserva from rioja14% abv
85% tempranillo 10% graciano 5% granacha and mazuelo

Clear ruby with a nose of earthy cherries, oak and notes of purple plum. Beautifully balanced midpalate of red fruit, silky tannins and balanced acidity. Nice medium to long length finish of balanced fruit and acidity. Lovely wine that is a good QPR at only 10.5 € so I bought one.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN Spanish Wine Tasting Notes (long)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Very nice notes/big Ardanza fan here!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm

*******From the Archives.

Interesting set of notes which I thought should have gathered more comment here. I have been thinking of opening a Verdejo for a while so have pulled the 2017 Flor de Vetus Verdejo out of the morgue.
I think Verdejo suffers by comparison to Albarino in Spain, which is more accessible and certainly (some say) more aromatic but I am keen to find out. Stay tuned!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:30 am

Hi Bob

I just had a verdejo this week, a Cuatro Reyes paired with panko crusted whitefish. Nice match. I am going to have to agree that my favourite white from Spain is Albarino. But, brother Bob prefers verdejos. Ever since our trip to Spain last fall, we are drinking more Spanish whites. The new one I experienced for the first time during that trip was Txacholi. Nice semi-sparkler with good acidity from Northern Spain. Hard to find here though.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:31 pm

Just about to open the 2017 Flor de Vetus Verdejo, have high hopes for sure. Stay tuned.

*** brilliant set of notes.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Just about to open the 2017 Flor de Vetus Verdejo, have high hopes for sure. Stay tuned.

Bob,
How was the verdejo? Good or disappointing?
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:38 pm

Tom N. wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Just about to open the 2017 Flor de Vetus Verdejo, have high hopes for sure. Stay tuned.

Bob,
How was the verdejo? Good or disappointing?

Now not as creamy as a bottle tasted 2yrs ago in the store. Drank this one over a 3 day period and held up well. Nice clarity with med lemon color. Lemon, lime on the nose with peach and apricot. Not grassy.
Good acidity dry, medium bodied.Nice stonefruit but think needed tad more complexity? "Light SB/Semillon" from across the table. Might have held too long?