The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Drinking wines with "expected" profiles!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Drinking wines with "expected" profiles!

by Jim Grow » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 pm

I guess I am guilty of being in a rut when it comes to expanding my horizons varietally in wine. After reading David B.'s note on Petite Syrah, I immediately thought "would that wine give me the same pleasure as a nice Napa Cab,". Probably not as I would be trying to figure how it enters into my known experience with big red wine and come up empty. I am very particular with Gew. (no more German) , Pinot Noir ( give me cherry/meat/earth/mushroom/dirt and maybe a little Brett,....no cola) and Riesling (yes many German) but shy away from Pinotage, Sauvignon Blanc (one grassy cat piss wine was enough) , Kerner, Sylvaner and many Merlot but am probably the only one on the planet that still loves Siegerrebe when infrequently located. Funky Syrah and Syrah with lots of Viognier are also just fine (would love to try the Biontic Frog). Chardonnay also needs to be full-blown with lots of tropical fruit but lots of acidity also (think Greg Lafollette) and the occasional Meursault with the added minerality but still "big". This may lead you to believe that I do not care for Bordeaux..........no true but my favorites need to have 10-20 years on them which is becoming an expensive proposition...........my favorites are Clos St. Martin, Clos de Sarpe, Pichon Baron, Calon-Segur , la Vielle Cure and La Fleur de Bouard. I guess when it comes to Bordeaux I get in a different mind-set and just try to determine how typical the wine is from previous experiences and focus on the complexities. Thanks for reading if you still are.