The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bedrock Zin EsolaVnyd '17...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Bedrock Zin EsolaVnyd '17...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:31 pm

After the Cigar let me down, I opened this to go with my FritoPie Sausage & Sauerkraut:
1. Bedrock Zin EsolaVnyd (14.4%; Tended by Denise Esola) Sonoma 2017: Med.dark color; very classic Esola/briary/Amador/blackberry/Zin/very spicy very light toasty/oak bit old-timey Amador Zin nose; lightly tart strong Amador/briary/blackberry/Zin/very spicy light toasty/oak some dusty/OV very attractive classic Amador flavor w/ light bit tangy tannins; very long/lingering very spicy/Amador briary/blackberry slight toasty/oak bit dusty/OV slight peppery lovely finish w/ light gentle tannins; a rather restrained/elegant expression of Amador Zin (not too often that Amador & elegant are used together) in a sort of old-timey way; lovely expression of Amador Zin. $34.00
1. I have, of course, followed the EsolaVnyd from the very start, when they were first given a vnyd-designate by CarnerosCreek and Ridge about 1972. Did a visit w/ Ernie & Lena D'Agostini Esola back in the mid-'70's; two of the most gracious hosts I've ever had the pleasure to meet. The vnyd was co-owned by Ernie & John Esola. The old Zin block was retained by daughter, Denise, and the other block, containing the Cabernet, went to another member of the family on John's side.
PaulDraper and FrankMahoney dropped the production of Esola (and Eschen) Zins in the late '70's; a decision for which they have received much consternation & whining from me over the yrs. I believe Ridge is going to be sourcing Zin from up in Amador once again.
I was quite taken by this latest Esola Zin. It's nice to see Esola back up in the top-tier of Calif Zins once again, thanks to Morgan's efforts. This was not nearly as big/extracted/alcoholic as the old Esolas from CarnerosCreek or Ridge. It reminds some of the old BeauVal or SutterHome Deaver Zins of yore. Quite an attractive/drinkable Zin much as BillEaston would make. Resembles the Turley JudgeBell Zin, which are not nearly as extracted/oaked/alcoholic under Tegan as they used to be...much more expressive of the vnyd.
Tom