The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Too's babor Grenache LimerickLaneVnyd '16...(short/bori

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Too's babor Grenache LimerickLaneVnyd '16...(short/bori

by TomHill » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Tried this w/ my group this week:
1. Too's babor Wine Grenache LimerickLaneVnyd/RRV (15.1%; www.LimerickLaneWines.com) Healdsburg 2016: Very dark
color; strong blackberry/strawberry/Grenache/ripe slight licorice light pencilly/toasty/Fr.oak bit earthy/
dusty/OV slight metallic/burning steel wool strong LL-style bit complex nose; soft bit tangy/metallic very
strong Grenache/strawberry/blackberry/ripe slight peppery/licorice light toasty/Fr.oak some dusty/OV flavor w/
modest ripe tannins; very long/lingering very strong strawberry/blackberry/Grenache light toasty/oak some
dusty/OV bit complex finish w/ modest ripe tannins; needs 2-5 yrs; very much in the LL style but a bit more
restrained/subtle and not as much ripeness; a beautiful expression of RRV Grenache; Cruz done good. $100
________________________________________________________________________________________________
More turdsnottle from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Too's babor: This is a Grenache made by Cruz Bilbro. Mostly by himself, with Dad Jake looking over his
shoulder. Dad offered some Syrah to Cruz to boost the Grenache, but Cruz refused it. The name comes from
Cruz's attempt to pronounce his name when he was just learning to talk. He designed the label himself w/ a
drawing of a John Deere tractor on the front and a hand-written story on the back label. Cruz is one of the
neatest kids you'll ever want to meet. He made two brls of this wine. He wanted to make them a charitable
contribution. The first barrel he donated to Emirl Lagasse. He & Jake went to NewOrleans a month ago to
raise money for its sale for Emeril's Foundation, raising over a quarter of a Million$$. This second barrel
he donated to the Northern Calif Down'sSyndrome Foundation. Cruz organized a party at LimerickLane last Sunday
to raise $$'s for it, with the $100 admission going to the Foundation. Cruz's best friend is Brady Mauritson,
son of Clay & Carrie-Anne Mauritson of Mauritson Wnry fame. I got to meet Brady at the party and he, too, is
one incredibly neat kid. The event Sunday was one of the greatest wine events I've ever attended, not so much
because it was a wine event, but because it was a family event. Kids galore all over the place and a real
paucity of wine geeks. Chris Bilbro (founder of MariettaCllrs) made a huge batch of his famous Minestrone.
An amazing way to spend an afternoon.
Though not listed on their WebSite, I suspect you can purchase a btl of Cruz's Grenache by contacting the
wnry directly. Pretty sure it was not all sold out at the event Sunday.
LimerickLane just hired ChrisPittinger (recently of Skinner in ElDoradoCnty) as winemaker. Chris brings
some terrific skills to the winemaking and the LL wines are only going to get notched up some.
LL makes about the only Furmint made in Calif. I took a btl of it to share w/ HeidiSchrock in Rust a few
yrs ago and she was quite impressed with it.
Tom