The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Drouhin Vero

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Drouhin Vero

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Betsy made a balsamic glazed salmon, with Brussel sprouts and brown rice. I like PN with salmon, felt the glaze called for one with some ooomph, went downstairs for a CA PN but walked back up with the 2003 Joseph Drouhin "Vero" Bourgogne Rouge- I figured 2003 made it more CA-style. I should have used a warm bath, it was a bit too cool at first (my passive cellar is down around its low, 50°F). Seemed a bit sharp and thin. As it warmed it got better, warm ripe red cherry fruit, a bit of earth and flowers. Overall I think I liked a previous bottle a tad better, but this is nicely balanced for the vintage with good length. A fair value @ $15 closeout price. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Drouhin Vero

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I should have used a warm bath, it was a bit too cool at first (my passive cellar is down around its low, 50°F).

Great idea! Don't know why I never thought of it.

Our house in Berkeley is quite cool during the winter, and it can be tough to keep red wines at a good drinkable temperature. I usually place them near the stove while cooking, but I obviously wouldn't want to leave the stove on all night. However, this seems like a great energy efficient way to keep something relatively warm for a longer period of time.

Of course I imagine it takes some tinkering to get used to the timing.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Drouhin Vero

by Sam Platt » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Seemed a bit sharp and thin.

Dale,

I have found the same sharpness in every bottle of Drouhin Vero that I have tasted. We finally gave up on it. I much prefer the Jodot Pinot Noir Bourgogne in that price range and style.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins