The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another "Old Bordeaux" tasting downtown!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Another "Old Bordeaux" tasting downtown!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:09 am

Mike B, his wife and myself attended a good aged claret tasting this evening, along with around 15 participants. Tasting notes and thoughts will follow hopefully asap.

Mike was impressed with my malbec T Shirt!!!! Quite the wrong event though.

`97 Tronquoy-Lalande (Reception).
`88 Batailley.
`88 Leoville-Barton.
`88 Calon-Segur.
`83 Leoville Las Cases.
`94 Le Bon Pasteur.
`95 Labegorce Zede

Dessert wine was `97 de Malle.
Food a nice leg of lamb.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Another "Old Bordeaux" tasting downtown!!

by Saina » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm

88 Barton was one of my vinous highlights in 2006. Bloody brilliant! I hope your's was as good. If it wasn't, I hope it was at least half as good, because even then it is fantastic. ;) TNs to follow, I presume?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:88 Barton was one of my vinous highlights in 2006. Bloody brilliant! I hope your's was as good. If it wasn't, I hope it was at least half as good, because even then it is fantastic. ;) TNs to follow, I presume?

Hi Otto. I will try to find some real time but am working on some fund-raising for some upcoming inner-city kids field trips. Maybe Mike B will help out?

WTN: `88 Ch Leoville Barton (2nd growth, St Julien).

I certainly enjoyed the finish here over the `88 Batailley. Both however were pipped by the `88 Calon-Segur as WOTN, although the Leoville las Cases was a big winner too.

The Barton was from my cellar and was in good shape. Tons of sediment, decanted one hour prior to pouring. I found some sweetness here but most thought hardly any fruit left. Lead pencil and some tobacco came through.
I wrote that wine sure evolved in the glass over an hour but minute sampling measure. Drink now!! With the leg of lamb, pretty good. I liked it but then biased I guess. Your bootle seems to have been in better shape, Otto.

**** just a question for you (or whoever wants in) have you ever had cocoa powder on the nose of a Sauterne??? The Malle had it.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:44 pm

The home computer's in the shop (darn Mac logic boards), but I've got a bit of free time at work (shhhh!).

97 Tronquoy-Lalande I don't have much down in the way of impressions on this one. It was the reception wine and not that remarkable. Some berries and earthiness. Tight tannins.

88 Batailley Funky nose. Currants, blackberries, and a light smattering of pepper and spice on the palate. This came to a long finish.

88 Leoville-Barton A bit of sweetness on the nose - Bob, I recall you describing it as peppermint, but I didn't get that myself. Tart currant fruit, tobacco, pencil, soft tannins on the palate.

88 Calon-Segur This had the tightest tannins of the three '88s, but I guess it's all relative. Put this next to a Napa Cab and it would be silky smooth in comparison. Bricking on the edges, a light red in colour. It was my WOTN, with lots of secondary characteristics such as cedar, red currant, cigar box, spices on the palate. The nose was flowery and spicey. Bright acidity. This still has a bit of time left in it.

83 Leoville Las Cases Showing little signs of aging, this was still a deep red colour and pink on the edges. Cedar, pepper on the nose. It was a bit light on the palate, with currants, cassis and a soft texture. I think this was the second place WOTN.

94 Le Bon Pasteur Funky on the nose at first, but then displaying tobacco and mocha. Chocolate, concentrated currant and blackberry on the palate. The tannins were still quite tight and I found it hot. I think it was 13.5%, so not that high.

95 Lobegorce Zede Despite the Calon-Segur being crowned WOTN, this is the one that flew off the shelves. A floral nose, with berry and cedar hints. Blackberries and currants on the palate. Quite tannic and it had a rather off-putting (for me, at least) bitter green streak on the finish. I don't think Bob liked this a whole lot either. Too bad, because I could sniff this wine for hours.

And finally,

97 de Malle I didn't get the cocoa powder that Bob described on the nose, but I picked up white chocolate. So there you go, eh? Apricot and honey on the nose. Peaches, chocolate and apricot on the palate with a nice, bright acidity.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks for the notes! You know, the 1988s aren't really all that universally loved - I seem to be one of the few who sings their praises. It may simply be a slight difference in preferences why you weren't as ecstatic on the Barton as I was. It isn't a fruit forward vintage, so I'm not surprised that many say it doesn't have much fruit. I find the fruit sufficent and in no danger of decline (in this wine) in the near future.

I've not often found coco in Sauternes, but occasionally. I've always thought it an oak based scent?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:11 pm

Otto, I found myself defending the '88s after a few people criticized their lack of fruit. There was plenty of fruit in them for me and personally, I love when the secondary characteristics move to the forefront.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks Mike for posting the notes. Otto has some good points as usual, thanks for the comments champ.

Leoville las Cases did not seem to show its age at all. I found it a nice aged cab, cassis and hint of leather. One taster was not too enthusiastic and said "I really had to stretch my thoughts to enjoy this'. His comment surprised many I thought.
The Le Bon Pasteur I found thin and acidic. Very light garnet, no big depth in the centre. Some found some heat on the finish, I was not impressed.
Yup, it was thumbs down for the Labegorce Zede around my little group!! I have had some good ones but this was oak-dominated. I wrote "hardly drinkable' but guess time will tell.
The Batailley was also from my cellar, cheap when the Liquor Board had the big clear out!! Finish was sad, agreed. At first I was quite enthusiastic but wondered about the fruit as time wore on."Old style, long ager" was one comment. I have to wonder about the storage here as it was not with all the other wines in the cellar? Mike sure was happy with this one!