The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:2000 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Napa Valley California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN:2000 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Napa Valley California.

by Bob Ross » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:40 pm

2000 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Napa Valley California. Peterson Family Vineyard. $50 at cellar door. 14.5% alcohol.

Deep red color, deep hue, complex aroma of chocolate, fruit, berries, spice and smoky overtones; lovely tastes of fruit and spice with chocolate, earth and smoke notes; very light oak; medium to full mouth feel, tannins have softened over time, good acidity, long complex finish. Developed beautifully over two hours in the glass. Went beautifully with lamb stew, which was finished with a glass of the same wine. Lovely wine. 5*.

Website.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN:2000 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Napa Valley California.

by James Dietz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:39 pm

Bob....I had this about a month ago for the first time....and your notes reflect exactly what I remember. We had it at a small Pets tasting at the house with Pride, Foley, Corte Riva and a couple of others I'm forgetting at the moment. My favorite was the Foley, but that is splitting hairs, and I have since bought a few bottles of the 2000 Switchback Ridge at auction for....$50....it seems the Parker points on this weren't enuff to boost the price.. :wink:

The four Pets above stood out for me, and 3 of the 4 are made by Bob Foley and the other, Corte Riva, by, I think, his assistant wine maker. We have a much bigger Pets tasting coming on Feb. 23, with something like 30 different wines, so I will get to revisit all these again...and more...

Petite Sirah is, I think, an under-rated varietal....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN:2000 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Napa Valley California.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 am

Petite Sirah is I believe an under-rated varietal...bring it on James. PS I love you!!