The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Musar 1993 Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Holger B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:18 am

Sweden

WTN: Chateau Musar 1993 Blanc

by Holger B. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:37 am

Hi,
I just discovered this nice forum, and since there seems to lots of Musar lovers around here, I thought I should share these brief tasting notes. I tasted my first Musar (93, red) just recently (just out of curiosity), and I got completely stunned with it. What a wine, fantastic. Then I got to read about the whites and got really interested, since I'm really in to whites (mostly Rieslings and Burgundys).

We had the wine with filet of pork, truffle-butter and small potatoes. Really simplistic food is recommended, since the wine is so complex in itself.

TN:
When opened, the nose is sweet and warm, almost like a dessert wine. After an hour in the bottle (not decanted, only opened, maybe this was a mistake?) the nose has changed considerably. It's now very complex with minerals, exhaust fumes, diesel, petrol, rubber, resin, vanilla and lots of other unknown spices. In a way it resembles an australian Semillon I had recently (Peter Lehmann Reserve 99), which surprised me with its Riesling-like nose.
The palate is (in contrast to the red Musar from the same year) completely dry, but with lots of fruit. It's also fresh and acidic. The closest wine that comes to mind is white Rhône (Marsanne). Yellow apple, some liquorice root, an almost oily feel.
Both the nose and the palate seems to constantly change over the time that we drink it. This makes it a very exciting wine; you never know what the next sip will be like.
Bottom line is that this is a fantastic wine, totally unique in its style. Will definately buy again. And it has many years ahead of it.

The white Musar (at least this bottle) seems to lack some of the "faults" that some people accuse the red Musar of, such as volatile acidity and oxidation. Despite this fact, I think the white may be more of a wine for winegeeks than the red, which is easier to "understand" and love. The nose might be offputting for a lot of people, but I love it.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Chateau Musar 1993 Blanc

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 pm

Holger
Welcome!

Yes we do seem to have a few Musar fans here (I'll count myself in that, as it was one of the first wines that made more than a passing impression on me).

Having said that, I'm yet to taste the white, but do have a bottle in the wine fridge, awaiting the mood taking me.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm

Hello Holger, welcome.

I recently shared a bottle of the '92 Musar Blanc with some friends (including Bob Parsons, who also posts here). Fascinating wine.

I'd say Otto is the resident Musar expert, and he definitely recommends decanting the Blanc. As odd as it sounds to decant a white, it's a good idea. The nose was a little musty at first, but it blew off with the decanting.

Our impressions were similar to yours, with some notes of marzipan, pear, butterscotch, oak and that round, almost oily, mouthfeel you describe. The finish was lacking, but it was an intriguing wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:37 pm

Welcome, Holger. I too am becoming a fan of Musar. I've only had one white, the 97, but it was on the order of "If this is a bad vintage of this wine then I can't wait to get my hands on something better." Fascinating wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:53 pm

Holger, welcome to the most Musar friendly place on the internet! :)

Do you have the white 93 in Systembolaget? I don't remember ever tasting the white from that year, so I read your note with particular interest. In my opinion Musars of all colours (yes, even rosé) demand at least a couple hours decanting to really blossom, though they can be perfectly enjoyable out of the bottle also.

I have found white Musars to be a little oxidative in style (just like the reds), but if you serve them at room temperature I don't often notice the oxidised layer. When I chill them, then it becomes obvious. I've always wondered how the temperature could mask the oxidative character. Because of this, I tend to serve my white Musars pretty warm - at about 15C. I guess you didn't drink it cold either?

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:04 pm

Holger, welcome!! Anymore enthusiasm like that and I will tell you about a special Musar Rocks T Shirt that Otto has for sale!!!!!!

Mike B is very kind about his comments, it was terrific.
no avatar
User

Holger B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Sweden

by Holger B. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm really overwhelmed by the amounts of answers I got to this topic, great forum you got going here.

Yes Otto, we have the 93, both rouge and white 93 at systembolaget, along with rouge 96, 98 and 99 (great), and white 93 and 99 (haven't tried that one yet). We also have the Cuvee Rouge 03 (didn't like this very much) and the Hochar et fils 01 (good budget Musar!). Until recently we also had the Rouge 95, I bought a couple of bottles but haven't tried it yet, and judging by your reviews, I should wait a couple of years for this. Which vintages do you have available at Aalko?
I served the white at about 15 degrees, this type of white shouldn't be too cold I think.

Have anyone tried the 99 Blanc, I'm very interested in that one since I have a couple lying around at home... And do you think it's bad idea to try one of them now, maybe they are "closed" at the moment?

And yes, the t-shirt sounds very interesting :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 am

Think I am going into the T Shirt business, Holger. Charge enough and I will never be short of a few Musars laying around!!!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Holger B. wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm really overwhelmed by the amounts of answers I got to this topic, great forum you got going here.

Yes Otto, we have the 93, both rouge and white 93 at systembolaget, along with rouge 96, 98 and 99 (great), and white 93 and 99 (haven't tried that one yet). We also have the Cuvee Rouge 03 (didn't like this very much) and the Hochar et fils 01 (good budget Musar!). Until recently we also had the Rouge 95, I bought a couple of bottles but haven't tried it yet, and judging by your reviews, I should wait a couple of years for this. Which vintages do you have available at Alko?
I served the white at about 15 degrees, this type of white shouldn't be too cold I think.

Have anyone tried the 99 Blanc, I'm very interested in that one since I have a couple lying around at home... And do you think it's bad idea to try one of them now, maybe they are "closed" at the moment?

And yes, the t-shirt sounds very interesting :)

Holger, Systembolaget seems like paradise compared to alko. We have the red 1999. That's it. Some stores have a few bottles of the red 1997 left also, but officially that is finished.

I recently tried the Blanc 1999 also and found it very nice, but not quite as lovely as the 1998 or the 1996. I think the whites, like the reds, are approachable for a couple years after release, but then shut down until about age 12-15 (depends on vintage). I thought the 1999 a great drink now though of course young. But do give it lots of air - I found it better on days two and three. I'd love to hear your comments on it also.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:48 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Think I am going into the T Shirt business, Holger. Charge enough and I will never be short of a few Musars laying around!!!

I hope I'll get someone with a digicamera to visit me soon so I could finally get a picture of the shirt! I rarely have Musars lying around because when I'm sleeping innocent dreams, nasty elves creep in and drink them all.... :roll:
no avatar
User

Holger B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Sweden

by Holger B. » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:53 am

Otto, seems like you have to take the boat over to Stockholm to do some shopping. And I definately have to try the white 99 soon.
A question for you, since it seems you have tried a few Musars: Is the bottle-variation and the percentage of flawed bottles really as bad as some people write? Or have all these people that states "don't buy Musar, half of the bottles are corked" just not seen the Musar-light yet?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Holger B. wrote:Otto, seems like you have to take the boat over to Stockholm to do some shopping. And I definately have to try the white 99 soon.
A question for you, since it seems you have tried a few Musars: Is the bottle-variation and the percentage of flawed bottles really as bad as some people write? Or have all these people that states "don't buy Musar, half of the bottles are corked" just not seen the Musar-light yet?

I honestly think I haven't drunk enough Musar to be able to make a comment on bottle variation. If anyone wants to help me rectify the situation, I'll send my address to where you can send as much Musar you would like.

From my limited experience, it does have some variation, but not at all as drastically as sometimes stated. I have maybe the most experience with the red 1997 (not my favourite vintage, but it's been in tons of tastings) with 37 different bottles tried so far. I think all bottles have had a typical Musar note to it and all have been similar enough that I haven't confused it with other vintages. Ergo, my hunch is that it doesn't really have more variation than other wines.

Often when I have read descriptors by others on the bottle variation they have experienced, I have found it to resemble the heat shocked bottles of Musar that I've had.

Yet on occasion I do get a strange bottle that seems not to fit with my idea of the vintage. The most recent note of the 1989 for example: I found it almost like a CdP! Then there was the 1995 that I tasted at the winery that smelled like a St-Estephe! But these are the isolated oddities. Apart from these two bottles, I haven't found significant bottle variation.

I have long wondered whether this is bottle variation is a myth or not. In my experience it is a myth, but I would love to hear what others think.

-O-