The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

suggestions for pairing wine with pizza and wings?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: suggestions for pairing wine with pizza and wings?

by Jenise » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:16 am

And if I were there I would sing "Little Red Corvette" at the top of my lungs

Oh great, now we have to picture you in high heels. This isn't pretty.

Maria, I'm with the others. Match your wine to the pizza, consider the wings an anomaly. You simply can't match everything on the table and for a karaoke night, it's not neccessary. This isn't rocket science, it's just a fun night with friends. Buy zinfandel or primitivo (Italian zinfandel if you will) or the Macarielli Dave reccomends (excellent choice, I second it). If you want to also serve a white, choose something fresh and fruity the way the zin and the Italian wines would be fruity. It's hard to know what's available to you, but there are myriad good Italian choices, and a good retailer should be able to help you pick one out if you say you want a fresh, fruity but dry white pizza wine. Btw, I agree that muscadet is probably too subtle for pizza, and though I like the wine it's one of those "acquired tastes"--not accessible enough for a party wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:52 am

Jenise cuts to the chase and gives the good advise. Of course it agrees with what I would say. :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Jenise wrote:
And if I were there I would sing "Little Red Corvette" at the top of my lungs

Oh great, now we have to picture you in high heels. This isn't pretty.

It is too pretty. Especially with the tight leather pants. :shock: If Prince can do it, so can I (I'm joking here, you know). Besides, I'm a bassist and therefore specialize in all things funky. 8)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:13 am

My youngest son, Pete, comes home from Iraq for a 3-week R&R today. Of my home made wines, his favorite is Steuben Rose. I'll be bringing a bit of this wine to my oldest son, Dan's house for a Super Bowl party on Sunday, where the menu will be pizza and wings. Go Bills! :?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:40 am

Thanks everyone for all the awesome suggestions!

You are all going to probably kill me, but after all that...I decided to forgo the wings. We are still going to do pizza, but I just felt the wings would be so messy and hard for everyone to eat (especially when they were drunk...LOL). So we are going to have some sushi rolls(tuna, fresh salmon, yellowtail, california) instead, along with some crudite, antipasto, and cheeses. I *may* do some tapas dishes...but I really trying not to do cooking for the party, since it's for my birthday, and I know I'll go overboard if I start making stuff. Then pizza for later on.

so NOW my question is...wine with the new appetizers? Riesling? If so, dry or off-dry?

Robert J. wrote:And if I were there I would sing "Little Red Corvette" at the top of my lungs

Maybe the more important Q is what everyone would sing...LOL!! Sorry Robert, don't have Little Red Corvette, but I do have "Let's Go Crazy".
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:56 am

C`mn guys, we are only on page 2!!!!

I am in for Viognier and PN. The wasabi could result in some fun? Gewurtz maybe.
no avatar
User

Shaji

by Shaji » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:09 am

steve.slatcher wrote:OK Shaji, I wasn't sure whether to keep the "very" bit in my description of Muscadet. Can't say I have noticed a hopiness to it, but I'll try to focus in on it next time I try some. The sur lie versions could well have some yeasty flavours, which might also remind one of beer.

I knew I forgot some detail. Certainly Muscadet Sevre et Maine..sur lie. Thanks Steve.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:14 am

Maria Samms wrote:so NOW my question is...wine with the new appetizers? Riesling? If so, dry or off-dry?

Unfortunately, most forms of fish send me rushing for the Benadryl and, occasionally, the old Epi-Pen, so I am even less help than usual in this department.

But did you day "birthday?" Well, happy birthday and many more!

In this case, I'd go with some Prosecco for other than the fishy stuff.
And now what?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:44 am

Fish? Muscadet if a white fish. Albarino is not a bad choice. I wouldn't say "no" to a nice white burgundy. Viognier from Virginia might be good too! (I need to plug the local stuff.)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:02 pm

I vote Albarino with the sushi. And Maria, I can do 'Let's Go Crazy' even better. Can I bring my bass? 8)

rwj
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:45 pm

Robert J. wrote:Can I bring my bass? 8)

Of course Robert!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:23 pm

Sushi? You need bubbly!!!!! Especially since it's your birthday. There's some real decent stuff in the $10 range from Spain. Can't name names--again, don't know what's available near you, but Spain's the best value in bubbly for sure. Sounds like a fun party.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:26 pm

Jenise - Great suggestion! I love bubbly!! I will definitely do that...didn't even know Spain did bubbly...I will look into it! Thanks!

Edited to ask: So, what would you want to sing...LOL!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:24 pm

If she thinks that my Prince covers wouldn't be pretty then I can bet that she would sing something by Barry Manilow. Copa Cabana perhaps?

rwj
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:57 am

Robert J. wrote:It is too pretty. Especially with the tight leather pants. :shock: If Prince can do it, so can I (I'm joking here, you know). Besides, I'm a bassist and therefore specialize in all things funky. 8)
You're a bassist?

Me, too!

Although, to be specific, I'm a vocalist first, then a bassist, then a guitarist (if people are desperate), then a keyboardist (if people are insane).

Hear the first three at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/isaacjones
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:48 am

Maria Samms wrote:didn't even know Spain did bubbly...I will look into it!

Cava what you should be looking out for - Traditional Method sparkler from any one of a number of areas - most likely Catalonia.

You seem to have so many different foods now I would just go for a party wine and Cava is probably as good as any though personally, price-for-price, I think I prefer Prosecco. Asti is fun too. It has a bad reputation from the days when it was regarded as a cheap version of Champagne, but if you take it for what it is - a sweet sparkling wine with the grapey flavour of Muscat - it's not at all bad for its price.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:00 pm

Isaac wrote:
Robert J. wrote:It is too pretty. Especially with the tight leather pants. :shock: If Prince can do it, so can I (I'm joking here, you know). Besides, I'm a bassist and therefore specialize in all things funky. 8)
You're a bassist?

Me, too!

Although, to be specific, I'm a vocalist first, then a bassist, then a guitarist (if people are desperate), then a keyboardist (if people are insane).

Hear the first three at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/isaacjones

I thought that looked like a bass in your avatar. Is is a Rick? Sorry Maria, but I just hijacked your thread. Bassists are good at that.

rwj
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:57 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Jenise - Great suggestion! I love bubbly!! I will definitely do that...didn't even know Spain did bubbly...I will look into it! Thanks!

Edited to ask: So, what would you want to sing...LOL!

As mentioned, Spanish bubblies made in the methode champenoise are usually known as Cava. Two decent producers are Segura Viudas and Marques Gelida. Both should be available for $10 in your market.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:38 am

MikeH wrote: Segura Viudas

My first thought as well.

About $8-$9 in most parts.

2001 Marques de Caceres Rioja (red) is a good non-geek (but still solid) wine that would work with the tapas. It'll run you $10-$11.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:53 am

Sounds to me, Maria, like you're having a big party sans wine geeks. There are some wines that are really very tasty and food friendly that I go to when that is the case. My favorite is Citra Montepulciano D'abruzzo. A perfect piazza wine, in fact it's a great all around red , well balanced with good fruit and weight and not at all flabby....Also, It goes for between $5 & $9 a MAGNUM depending upon where you buy it! Yellow Tail Shiraz from Australia is another uncomplicated red that is well priced in Magnums, it has that Aussie fruit bombiness about it, sort of like a Zinfandel with the edges sanded off. You could do much worse than putting both of these out at your party, in fact your not wine geek friends will almost certainly love them!

The bubbly for a white is perfect, an easily obtainable Spanish Cava is Freixenet which can be purchased for $10 and under. It's fresh and fruity, very enjoyable. Have a great party and may your team win! Tom V
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:13 am

Robert J. wrote:I thought that looked like a bass in your avatar. Is is a Rick? Sorry Maria, but I just hijacked your thread. Bassists are good at that.

No problem Robert...hijack away!

Tom V wrote:Sounds to me, Maria, like you're having a big party sans wine geeks. There are some wines that are really very tasty and food friendly that I go to when that is the case. My favorite is Citra Montepulciano D'abruzzo. A perfect piazza wine, in fact it's a great all around red , well balanced with good fruit and weight and not at all flabby....Also, It goes for between $5 & $9 a MAGNUM depending upon where you buy it! Yellow Tail Shiraz from Australia is another uncomplicated red that is well priced in Magnums, it has that Aussie fruit bombiness about it, sort of like a Zinfandel with the edges sanded off. You could do much worse than putting both of these out at your party, in fact your not wine geek friends will almost certainly love them!

Thanks Tom. Part of the problem is that I actually have mix of wine geeks and non geeks coming to this party. My cousin (and best friend) and her husband are both high end chefs and definitely more geeky than me. Her sister (my other cousin) and her boyfriend both own a catering business. I have a few friends that travel often for work and know wine...as does my husband. Then there'll be a group of friends who may have never had red wine in their life. Those people will probably want to drink beer or have a glass of chardonnay...(and not the good kind...LOL). Also, this party is for me :D ,and since I love wine, I most certainly want there to be stuff that I likes a lot!! LOL! So, I guess that is part of my whole dilemma...I want stuff that is decent...BUT not going to break the bank since I am probably going to buy 2 1/2 - 3 cases of wine (hey they won't go bad...LOL). But, if I was having all non-geeks, your suggestions would be perfect.

Tom V wrote:The bubbly for a white is perfect, an easily obtainable Spanish Cava is Freixenet which can be purchased for $10 and under. It's fresh and fruity, very enjoyable. Have a great party and may your team win! Tom V

WOO HOO...I love Freixenet, and I had no idea this was Cava! For some reason I always thought it was German :oops: .

Thanks again everyone for all the wonderful suggestions!!
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Maria- Happy B-Day ! Sounds like a fun event.

CHEERS !

Art
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks Art! :D
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:41 pm

Have a Happy Birthday Maria! I thought it was a Super Bowl Party. I guess wings and football are inextricably associated in my mind!
You make a good point about the wines, they won't go bad, so a mix of everyone's good suggestions will make your guests happy and perhaps provide a bit of a stash afterwards. Enjoy! Tom V
PreviousNext