The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cantemerle, Chinon, MP, Selbach-O, plus cheap Tuscan and Macon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Cantemerle, Chinon, MP, Selbach-O, plus cheap Tuscan and Macon

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:46 pm

Friday I came home from work and opened an apertif, the 2004 Selbach- Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer) Light, with white fruit accented by some limey citrus. Good minerality on the finish. Nice bright acidity. B+

Betsy was making a Tuscan-derived recipe of duck legs in red wine with olives (Jenise's post, quite good), she used the 2003 Monte Antico (Toscano) as a cooking wine and then we had with dinner. OK acidity considering year, round cherry and red plum fruit. Not especially deep or long, but certainly acceptable at its $6 pricetag. Label just mentions Sangiovese, I would have guessed Merlot/Sangiovese blend. B/B-

As she was doing Friday dinner Betsy was also prepping for Sunday dinner- making the elaborate brown stock and marinade needed for Tom Colicchio's shortribs (Craft cookbook). She needed most of a bottle of wine, I reserved a glass of the 2005 Marquis Phillips Shiraz. Big porty sweet Shiraz, certainly impressive for its price point but totally not my style. C+

Saturday we walked over to some friends for dinner. Started with artichoke dip and spicy spinach spread. I had a glass of the 2004 Drouhin "Laforet" Macon-Villages. No sign of oak, just clean pear fruit with a squirt of lemon. Leaner than many like, but I find it pleasant if simple. B

With dinner (chicken, stuffed squash, salad), a couple of reds:

2003 Domaine de la Noblaie "Les Chiens-Chiens" ChinonFairly ripe and big, though with enough acidity to keep it lively, fleshy red fruit with some green pepper notes dancing in the background. Not compelling Chinon, but certainly pleasant. B/B+

2001 Ch. Cantemerle (Haut-Medoc)
Tight at first, lots of animal notes, maybe a little bretty. Tasted with dinner (hour open) the nose is much cleaner, dominated by red plum and a little blackberry. Medium-bodied, tannins a little drying, nice enough finish. Could probably use a couple more years. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.