The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Weekend of several wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: Weekend of several wines

by wrcstl » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Opened at a chef’s table with sea bass over lentils, small piece of foie gras on a bed of sweet marinated slaw next to a slice of country pate and finally a med rare beef tenderloin with a potato gratin and veggie

<b>’04 Edmunds St John Roussanne</b> – Nose of truffles and earth, round with mineral notes on the palate, very nice finish and everybody (the four of us plus the chef) loved the wine. A big mistake is to serve this wine too cold. At first the wine was muted but blossomed as it warmed in the glass. My vote goes to 60-65 degrees.

<b>’01 Edmunds St John Wylie-Fenaughty</b> – Decanted the wine and then put back in the bottle to take to the dinner. Dark in color, beautiful syrah nose. The word that pops into mind is “clean” and was tight with defined boundaries. This wine needs more time. After 2 hours and a revisit the wine had put on weight showing some smoke and cherries, full bodied and excellent. Old world wine lovers that want to buy American should have several bottles in the cellar with no rush to open.

<b>’01 Pagos Viejos ARTADI</b> – Floral nose with a hint of oak aromas but not on the palate, sweet fruit of berries, med/full body, nice finish. I like this wine but quite different and rounder following the ESJ Syrah.

<b>’95 Bussola Amarone</b> – Sweet deep ripe fruit with the expected raisin flavors. A big full bodied wine that was 15% alcohol but not hot on the palate. Nice balance. Amarone is always a love or hate wine and tonight it worked very well to finish the meal.

Saturday afternoon was a $25 '04 Burgundy tasting of about 20-25 wines at a local wine shop. The wines ranged from village to 1er to a Grand Cru. I struggled with all of these wines and found onlly one wine that I would want in my cellar and it was $90. Certainly didn't want it that bad. The red wines were acidic and quite thin. Several of the whites were enjoyable but again nothing great. Many of the wines were small unknown producers but the biggest problem may be that I just don't know how to taste Burgundies plus '04 is not the best vintage.

Saturday night was a wine tasting that matched four CA cabs to three Bordeaux. The evening started with a nice little Pouilly Fuisse and a domestic chard that was so oaked that only one sip made it out of the glass. Forgot the name of both the wines. The wines were served blind, brief notes follow.

<b>’02 Charles Krug Vintage Selection</b> – Definitely CA with full bodied flavors but not-in your-face fruit. This wine was easy to drink. 17/20

<b>’90 Gruaud Larose</b> – Soft balanced fruit with a touch of tobacco, some tannins on the finish but ready to drink. The wine was good but I expected more. 17.5/20

<b>’02 Rodney Strong Alexander’s Crown</b> – Huge spice, very ripe fruit, and loaded with oak. To me this was a DNPIM wine but one person gave it the WOTN. Guess this is what makes the wine world go around. 15/20

<b>’00 Etude Napa Valley</b> – Tight, beautiful bright fruit aromas. Well integrated with nice dark cherry fruit. Long finish. I really like this wine and knew it had to be Bordeaux. Whoops!! 18+/20

<b>’89 Mouton Rothschild</b> – Soft, forest floor nose, sweet fruit, forward but not terribly complex. Was surprised that it was an ’89 Mouton. Went back in 1 ½ hours and it had opened up and flavors leaped from the glass. The wine was originally closed even though it drank well. The wine needs more time. 18.5/20 (only after the retaste)

<b>’89 Talbot</b> – Similar notes to the ’90 Gruaud but more tightly knit. Needs some time but didn’t curl my toes. 17.5/20

<b>’01 Vine Cliff Winery</b> – Dark ripe fruit, young, very big. Nice wine and not as forward as the Rodney Strong. 17/20

Walt
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Weekend of several wines

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Walt,
I think you've painted a pretty accurate picture of the 01 ESJ Wylie. Needs a few years in the cellar or hours in the decanter to show its best.
Interesting comment on the Roussanne serving temperature. I have one of Steve's 05 Shell and Bones (Viognier/Roussanne blend) on tap for this evening. I may take it out of the cellar early and see how it fares...if I don't like it warmer, I can always give it a quick chill.
Thanks,
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Redwinger wrote:Interesting comment on the Roussanne serving temperature. I have one of Steve's 05 Shell and Bones (Viognier/Roussanne blend) on tap for this evening. I may take it out of the cellar early and see how it fares...if I don't like it warmer, I can always give it a quick chill.
Thanks,
Bill

I had taken the Roussanne out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving. My guess is that it was about 50 degrees. The bottle was quite chilled and too cold for the wine, muted all the flavors. At 60-65 it really opened up. I know it is a worn out topic but think most whites get served too cold and reds too warm. Just finished "The Emperor of Wine" and even though I am not a RP point chaser he made an interesting point. He samples all of his wines, red or white, between 60-65 degrees. I like this temp for whites but want another five degrees for the reds.
Walt
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:07 pm

wrcstl wrote:I had taken the Roussanne out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving. My guess is that it was about 50 degrees. The bottle was quite chilled and too cold for the wine, muted all the flavors. At 60-65 it really opened up. I know it is a worn out topic but think most whites get served too cold and reds too warm. Just finished "The Emperor of Wine" and even though I am not a RP point chaser he made an interesting point. He samples all of his wines, red or white, between 60-65 degrees. I like this temp for whites but want another five degrees for the reds.
Walt

I think I like my wines a few degrees cooler than you. Today's white selection will come out of the cellar @ 54 degrees which is only slightly below where I prefer most of my whites. While over chilled whites will mute the fruit/flavours/flaws, too warm will mute the acidity which I seek when having wine with food, which is my norm. My wife prefers her whites a bit warmer than I do, but then again she is a much warmer person.
Best,
BP
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:51 pm

I have had widely differing reactions to the '90 Gruaud on different occasions. Sometimes it is overripe/pruney to me, other times beautiful.

The '89 Talbot has never thrilled me, though it's solid. Actually I think that describes most Talbots 1988-1999 ( I love the '86 and really like the '00).
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Redwinger wrote:Walt,
I think you've painted a pretty accurate picture of the 01 ESJ Wylie. Needs a few years in the cellar or hours in the decanter to show its best.

Thanks,
Bill

Any experience with the '00 ESJ Wylie? I have one of those hiding in the cellar.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:05 pm

MikeH wrote:
Redwinger wrote:Walt,

Thanks,
Bill

Any experience with the '00 ESJ Wylie? I have one of those hiding in the cellar.

Mike, I have no experience with this wine but here is a note from George on the 2000 Wylie. Hope this is helpful!
Bill