The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Healdsburg, CA or What Happened to the Wine Tasting?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Healdsburg, CA or What Happened to the Wine Tasting?

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:26 pm

<table width="500"><tr><td colspan="2">Healdsburg is an oenocentric hamlet in Sonoma about an hour's drive north of San Francisco along Highway 101. The most amazing fact about the town is that it appears to boast more wine tasting rooms than Starbucks coffee shops which is probably not a bad thing. Another good thing is that there's plenty of free parking, lots of good eats, and a walkable downtown. It contains and is surrounded by many excellent wineries. But, as fate would have it, we ended up going antiquing. The wine became an afterthought. (The things we do for love!) This trip's prize was not some wonderful drop of liquid Sonoman joy, but a vintage 32 piece set of dishware, octagonally shaped, gold-rimmed, black ... and all for 25 bucks! By the way, sorry for all the pictures of me. Zari caught the shutterbug this weekend and I was her humble subject.</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Image

We stopped at Gallo of Sonoma out curiosity and tried the '04 or '05 Sonoma Reserve Pinot Gris. It really did not distinguish itself from a Chardonnay which had undergone 100% ML.
</td><td valign="top">Image
Another tasting place nextdoor to Gallo of Sonoma.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Image

We visited bocolo which, according to the fellow at Gallo, was the latest "in" place in Sonoma. There was a restaurant and a retail space ... perhaps a little too trendy for me. But I did find this nifty "Sniff, Swirl, and Sip Wine Tasting Kit: "Everything You Need for a Great Party." Hmmm.....
Zari got her dishes and I almost bought the Young Frankenstein poster. Such restraint!

Yum, yum! Costeaux French Bakery and Cafe where we had lunch.
A tasty Napoleon and a luscious tarte aux pommes for dessert.

We wandered over to Seghesio for a tasting.
The $5.00 tasting menu.
</td></tr></table>
And now what?