The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Baudrys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2004 Baudrys

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:02 am

2004 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon
Needs about an hour of air to stretch out and fully come into its own, but when it does it is such a fresh fun kickass wine. A juicy herbal earthy drink of fruit that dances between succulent and crisp, always fresh lively and constantly spraying pleasure into the mouth. So long on the palate. So lovely.

2004 Bernard Baudry Chinon "Le Clos Guillot"
This needs more like two hours of air to really come into its own, but when it does it is also a kickass wine, in its own way of course. Rounder and more substantial than the Domaine, a juicy stone fruit pit drink that is more finely knit and more poised than the Domaine. But still fragrant, fresh, herbal, and fun. So lovely.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2004 Baudrys

by Jenise » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:16 pm

I was trying to let my 2004s go five years, but a TN like this could change things. The basic Chinon is my favorite $12 red wine for just the reasons you name.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Jenise wrote:I was trying to let my 2004s go five years, but a TN like this could change things. The basic Chinon is my favorite $12 red wine for just the reasons you name.

I'm no expert, but I wonder what kind of pleasure the 04 Domaine would give in five years? It didn't seem to have that much "stuffing" and of course it is so so fun right now.

I won't even complain about the fact that in Exchange Rate Hell the Domaine costs over $20 here in London.

Because I've adjusted after all.. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:04 pm

Can't answer your question, Rahsaan, re the 04 but the 99 and the 01 both lasted that long and improved. I just figure they all will if they have enough acidity. $20? Ouch. We always presume French wines there are half the cost as here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:03 am

Jenise wrote:Can't answer your question, Rahsaan, re the 04 but the 99 and the 01 both lasted that long and improved.

Interesting. The only Baudry Domaine Chinon that I've tasted with several years of age was the 96, which was quite delicious in 2004 and 2005 (and perhaps still now?), but then that was a different kind of vintage.

The joys of wine diversity.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Rahsaan wrote -

"I won't even complain about the fact that in Exchange Rate Hell the Domaine costs over $20 here in London."

I don't think exchange rates are to blame; rather the greed of London wine merchants. Le Classement quotes EUR 7,65 for Chinon Domaine 05, which is roughly £ 5.20 or US$10. Here in Belgium wines ususally cost 40-50% more than ex-cellar retail prices in France and I often reckon that London prices are about the same number of pounds as we pay in Euros here, i.e. some 50% higher again. Bearing in mind that trade prices ex-cellar are probably 20-30% lower than retail, the London merchant is making a very nice margin.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 pm

Rahsaan, you hanging out at RSJ again!!!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:49 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Rahsaan, you hanging out at RSJ again!!!!

Not yet. Mostly Chez Moi.

But the Arches last week had a great list, if a bit stuffy classic Bordeaux and Burgundy.