The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Victorian Delight

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: Victorian Delight

by Tom N. » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:33 am

I traveled to Victoria, BC this week and enjoyed a very nice dinner with these wines.

Restaurant: Il Terrazzo. Ambiance: soft jazz and warm wood decor.

Wine #1: Prosecco, Bollecine della Casa, NV Col de Salici, extra dry

Light straw yellow with a fine bead. Light nose of lemon and minerals. Nice balance on the palate with lemon squirt acidity and a medium long finish of grapefruit and palate cleansing acidity. Nice wine that matched well with the Italian bread dipped in olive oil with capers.

Wine #2: Pinot Noir, Valdivieso Reserva 2005, Chile

Medium ruby fading to a pinkish-purple edge. Nose of forest floor, smoke and cherries. Nice balance on the palate between red tart cherries, smooth tannins, and nicely integrated oak. Medium long finish of cherries and acidity. Nice wine leaning more toward a burgundy style than new world as the acidity was front and center but nicely balanced with fruit and tannins - light to medium bodied.

Food matches: Nice flavor melding with medium-rare, pan-seared tuna lightly dressed with a ginger-soy reduction sauce. Excellent *** match with the mushroom risotto. Also a really tasty match with an earthy golden beet. OK match with the lemon-cilantro covered prawns.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Victorian Delight

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Tom, Tom, Tom. What are we going to do with you?

You go to BC and don't have any BC wines!!?? :shock:
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Bruce,

Now for the rest of the story :!: On my second night in Victoria I went to the Canoe Brewpub Marina and Restaurant. I hit the jackpot as it was 2 for 1 night for wine by the glass. My first two glasses were a Jackson and Triggs Okanagan Pinot Noir. A nicely balanced, light bodied pinot with a good cherry nose and nice earth and fruit on the palate. Nice match with the wild BC salmon I had. For dessert I had an Inniskillin Okanagan riesling ice wine. A really great match with the Creme Brule. This ice wine was good but not as intense as some I have had. The creme brule brought out the acidity in the wine and I think enhanced its taste profile. I did not post this because I did not take tasting notes at this restaurant.
Last edited by Tom N. on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:23 pm

Tsk, tsk, indeed :oops: :wink: :wink:

Whoops, your redemptive second note just appeared - I take it all back...
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:38 pm

I join with John S in offering you my most humble apologies!!

I will never forget the two weeks my wife and I spent in Vancouver last July and we drank nothing but BC wines. Wow, what a treat.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:21 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:I join with John S in offering you my most humble apologies!!

I will never forget the two weeks my wife and I spent in Vancouver last July and we drank nothing but BC wines. Wow, what a treat.

So when are you moving out this way, Bruce!!?