The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lots's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Lots's

by Mark S » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:27 am

Claude Dugat, Gevrey-Chambertin, 2000
deep cherry-red colored. Camphorish sweet black cherry aromas. Cherry with mint stick and oak spice on the palate, a little rough but ready enough, vanilla-mint on the finish, beetroot the second night, when it becomes slightly metallic. Eh. Sometimes lucky when we only have one bottle of something. B

Domaine du Pegau, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1999 The simple 'cuvee reserve' version. Sorry to disappoint pab, but this tastes nowhere near zinfandel. The color is a mature maroonish red. There's plenty of funky barnyard and a wee bit of brett on the mature nose. Great old school Chateauneuf to my senses: dried cherry pits, provencal herbs, kirsch, and decaying meat on earthen tiles, with a mature finish of roasted herbs on roast meat. love at first sip. A minus.

Huet, Vouray, Clos du Bourg,(demi sec), 2002 NOT Closed and still drinking well. The typical chalk and fresh pea aromas, ripe pear essence and hints of kumquat & honeysuckle in the mouth, acids hidden among perfect ripeness. An elegant and delicious wine. A minus

Domaine de Tares, Bierzo,'Baltos',2004 Rather deep purplish-black red. Floral and oak spice scents, perhaps lilac and geranium, rose oil cosmetics. In the mouth is a limestone-filled, perfumed dark fruit wine, a bit reduced and sweetish, but held in check by nice acidity. The finish is perfumed, with cocoa-carob bean flavors and lavender pastille. A tad too much of the oak, but nothing that is offputting. Surprisingly fun and at around $15, a wine to revisit. B plus.

Chapoutier, Banyuls, 1998
A clean graciano red color. Basket straw, cinnamon plums, candied crabapples and rosehips play on the nose, which repeats on the palate. Has a light feeling and is well done, havign flavors of spiced plum cake and cooked banana puree, not as heady as expected from a 17% wine. Rosehips and black tea on the finish. nicely done. A minus. *Anyone know what the difference in label looks like between the regular and fancy Banyuls looks like?

Jean-Pierre & Jean Francoise Quenard, Savoie, Chignin Bergeron, 'les Damoiselles', 2004
France's 'Slim Shady' producer ("my name is...") - one of the prodigious Quenard clan. A bright light gold color with a slight bronze glint. Yellow plums and buttered pie crust/cookie dough on the nose. Buttery glycerin, yellow fruits and a dull finish reminiscent of a Souther Rhone, but with a little more mountain vibrancy. 12.5% alcohol, but feels heavier. B plus.

Livio Sasseti (Pertimali), Brunello di Montalcino, 1998
Dark maroonish-garnet red. Balsam, cedar, and mushroom compost, with dark red fruits. This bottle seems more structured than the one tasted 2 years ago. There's a tight balance of ripe fruit, acids, and tannins, and I'd say open one in 2 more years if you have one. Red cherry, pomegranite with fresh licorice root and a chalky finish. Nicely integrated. A minus
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: TN: Lots's

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:51 am

thanks for notes. I'm really enjoying '99 CdPs.
Thanks for update on Huet.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Mark,
I agree that the 1999 Pegau Reservee is in a just wonderful place right now. Makes it so much easier to keep my hands off other vintages that require more time.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:52 pm

Mark S wrote:Domaine de Tares, Bierzo,'Baltos',2004

Elegantly Frenchified, but the actual name is Dominio de Tares.