The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Coming To Your Wine Label Soon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Coming To Your Wine Label Soon

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:53 pm

The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Well maybe it will.

Dan Berger in today’s edition of his Vintage Experiences has alerted us to new warning labels that may soon be forced on wineries. The first is a warning (to be determined by each winery) on allergens used in fining such as isinglass, egg whites, and milk products. The fact that all these pass through the wine without becoming part of it does not matter because governing legislation (Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004) talks about any product that COMES INTO CONTACT with an allergen being so labeled.

The other two labels being considered are the number of standard drinks in a bottle based on alcohol content, and another would require a list of all ingredients.

Can you imagine the burden not only on small North American producers but also small producers that have gained a little toehold on our market from the lesser know regions of France, Spain, and Italy as well as most of Southern Hemisphere. I can think of many of these we’ve recently enjoyed such as the tiny Domaine du Mage from S.W. France, who produce a delightful blend of Tannat and Merlot and sells for less than $10. It is only distributed in the U.S by a handful of small distributors. I’m sure they would drop the whole idea of a market here and try to sell what they produce on the Continent.

Many small producers here and abroad could easily fold with requirements for this kind of administrivia. Furthermore even the conglomerates will lose customers who are scared away by this ridiculous labeling added to the nonsense that is already printed on our wine bottles.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Coming To Your Wine Label Soon

by Alejandro Audisio » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:12 pm

Warning labels in North America are really something.....
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:01 pm

Australia and New Zealand already have a requirement to list the Standard Drinks contained in the bottle. There is no allowance for error in this figure, as distinct from the alcohol by volume figure, which can be +- 1.5% (I think). They also print the warnings such as "This wine has been fined using milk and egg products and traces may remain". Also additives statements such as "Preservative (220) added" as also included on most bottles. So this will not be a major problem for Australasin wineries.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:25 pm

And some parts of Europe already require allergen information from wineries. The EU will do this soon.

Carl, where have you been? I reported on this possibility last year after attending a seminar on malolactic fermentation and Brett. i wrote an articel about it for Wines and Vines--not sure if they ever printed the article, though. I did get paid for it.

Anyway, there are situations in winemaking that can cause allergens to remain--unfiltered is one of them, not that I like a label requirement, but that there does seem to be a need for some sort of control.

Label requirements was one among a few reasons that got me to get out of commercial winemaking.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:34 pm

Thomas wrote:Label requirements was one among a few reasons that got me to get out of commercial winemaking.

I thought it was because the wine tasted nasty! :mrgreen: All right that was just mean. I apologize. :oops:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Today I saw an Australian label that said something like "Egg and nuts used, and traces may remain". Was this serious? What might one use nuts for in winemaking?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:17 pm

steve.slatcher wrote:Today I saw an Australian label that said something like "Egg and nuts used, and traces may remain". Was this serious? What might one use nuts for in winemaking?

Added tannins that have been derived from nut trees.

One of the things such label regulations will do is to show the consumer how much stuff is used in wine processing, especially in many mass consumer oriented wine products that are manipulated and altered.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Carl,

While I agree that all those additional requirements will probably diminish some of the available wines, which is very unfortunate, I would like it to take place. I have a son who is allergic to many, many things...and although he is not allowed to drink wine yet, for the future, I (and he) would need to know exactly what is in it. I also cook with wine alot and he cannot eat anything I make with wine because it could contain allergens (especially egg whites and nuts...which he is highly allergic too). So for me, I welcome as much information as I can get on a label. I am 100% sure that if I wasn't in this situation with my child, that I would think it was ridiculous though.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:21 pm

Randy R wrote:
Thomas wrote:Added tannins that have been derived from nut trees.

And let's face it Thomas et al, where there is wine, the nuts can't be too far away.

True.

I am not kidding about the tannins from nut trees. It is used in wine to increase tannin. Why it has to come from nut trees is beyond me. There's tea and there's, well, the grape as a source. Suppose the nut tree stuff is cheaper or maybe part of a trade agreement with some country that offers nut tree tannin for our--what?--what is it that America produces these days? I forget.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:The first is a warning (to be determined by each winery) on allergens used in fining such as isinglass, egg whites, and milk products. The fact that all these pass through the wine without becoming part of it does not matter because governing legislation (Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004) talks about any product that COMES INTO CONTACT with an allergen being so labeled.

This requirement is neither as ridiculous nor as onerous as you seem to think it is. Firstly, the fact that fining agents are removed from the wine doesn't mean that they leave no traces of their presence in the wine. Do you know what the minimal concentration of e.g. casein needed to produce an allergic reaction is? There are substantiated reports of airline passengers going into anaphylactic shock when another passenger several rows away opened a bag of peanuts (enough protein was carried airborne from the bag to the allergy sufferer to induce his condition), hence the ban on peanuts now. Also, since there are also histamines in red wine, there could easily be a syngeristic interaction with an allergen.

Secondly, I imagine that producers will simply add another sentence or two to the "contains sulfites/alcohol will make you a mass murderer" warnings that are already required. They'll take the worst-case strategy and say that their wine may contain nut, milk, fish and diatom allergens so caveat imbibor. It'll cost a bit to reprint those labels, but the added cost in the long run will be next to nil.

That's the price we pay for living in a "zero risk" society...

Mark Lipton
(returns to juggling his five flaming chainsaws)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Hey, until sometime around 1980 wine filter pads contained asbestos. I can't imagine a label for that. :shock:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:34 pm

Maria Samms wrote:I have a son who is allergic to many, many things

Maria, I feel sorry for you as we had to cook around a lot of allergies with our four daughters as they were growing up One was allergic to wheat, corn, rice, eggs, and more. As a child I was allergic to pepper, turkey, rice, and GRAPES! Fortunately the kids and I grew out of most of them as our allergist said we could. Incidentally our allergist was my father.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:21 am

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:

Maria, I feel sorry for you as we had to cook around a lot of allergies with our four daughters as they were growing up One was allergic to wheat, corn, rice, eggs, and more. As a child I was allergic to pepper, turkey, rice, and GRAPES! Fortunately the kids and I grew out of most of them as our allergist said we could. Incidentally our allergist was my father.

Yup, same here, Carl. I commonly tell people that I was allergic to anything that "walked, crawled or slithered" when I was a kid (a line shamelessly purloined from a Mad Magazine "Papillon" parody): I had allergies to corn, rice, oats, nuts, beans, peanuts, pineapple, strawberries, chocolate, cats, dogs, duck down. Spring and Fall pollens. After a decade of allergy shots (now thought to be next to useless) I outgrew them at age 16 or so. Then, at age 40, I had a sudden relapse that faded away after a year or two.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:27 am

So Carl,

have you changed your "sky is falling" position on the label listing potential allergens?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:46 am

Pretty soon bottles of wine will come with a user's manual.

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of what will go on the label is boilerplate--it will be more an irritation than a burden. And small producers, especially European ones, rely on their U.S. importers for help with label requirements. It's not that big a deal. Yet.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:17 am

Thomas wrote:So Carl, have you changed your "sky is falling" position on the label listing potential allergens?

So long as they don't discover that some people are allergic to grapes, I guess we'll survive.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Yup, same here, Carl. I commonly tell people that I was allergic to anything that "walked, crawled or slithered" when I was a kid (a line shamelessly purloined from a Mad Magazine "Papillon" parody): I had allergies to corn, rice, oats, nuts, beans, peanuts, pineapple, strawberries, chocolate, cats, dogs, duck down. Spring and Fall pollens. After a decade of allergy shots (now thought to be next to useless) I outgrew them at age 16 or so. Then, at age 40, I had a sudden relapse that faded away after a year or two.
Mark Lipton

Wow guys! That must have been so tough! You are so lucky Carl, that your Dad is an allergist. I am so happy to hear that you all have outgrown them. Mark - do you still have seasonal/animal allergies?

My son is allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, peanuts, sesame seeds, all raw fruits and veggies (even bananas!), and lots of other things that I don't even know about. It is really tough...especially since he gets hives if any of those things even touch his skin! I have a daughter as well and fortunately, she is not allergic to anything. But mealtime around here is not fun at all.

Like you guys, I am hoping he outgrows his allergies (or at least the wheat one...poor kid can't even play with playdough because it has wheat in it!).

Luckily, he can have grape juice...since it's been pasturized. He is also ok with distilled white vineagar.

It's interesting to hear about others who had allergies when they were young...I thought it was something pretty recent...since a lot of kids I know are allergic to nuts/peanuts now. I didn't think anyone back in my day was allergic to anything...guess I just never heard about it.

Anyway, I hope the new labels don't cause too many problems for the wine companies.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:07 pm

Maria Samms wrote:

Mark Lipton wrote:
Mark Lipton

Wow guys! That must have been so tough! You are so lucky Carl, that your Dad is an allergist. I am so happy to hear that you all have outgrown them. Mark - do you still have seasonal/animal allergies?

My son is allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, peanuts, sesame seeds, all raw fruits and veggies (even bananas!), and lots of other things that I don't even know about. It is really tough...especially since he gets hives if any of those things even touch his skin! I have a daughter as well and fortunately, she is not allergic to anything. But mealtime around here is not fun at all.

Like you guys, I am hoping he outgrows his allergies (or at least the wheat one...poor kid can't even play with playdough because it has wheat in it!).

Luckily, he can have grape juice...since it's been pasturized. He is also ok with distilled white vineagar.

It's interesting to hear about others who had allergies when they were young...I thought it was something pretty recent...since a lot of kids I know are allergic to nuts/peanuts now. I didn't think anyone back in my day was allergic to anything...guess I just never heard about it.

Anyway, I hope the new labels don't cause too many problems for the wine companies.

OK Maria, time for me to pipe up.

Between the ages of fifteen and nineteen I went through allergy hell, and medical hell too. Massive problems with hives--volumes of tests and drugs over four years--to gain neither cure nor explanation.

The tests administered would have been easier to read by listing what I was supposedly NOT allergic to. Steroids (wrecking my organs), weekly shots (doing nothing), and a variety of "let's try this" gone absolutely nowhere.

I even took acupuncture, which actually worked briefly!

With a few minor recurrences from age twenty to thirty-five, it all went away, melted without a drug, an acupuncture needle, or a bank account going to the medical profession.

I am sure that stress played a role. First the stress of being a teen in a world where I didn't feel I belonged, then the stress of all the medicine and visits and lack of success, not to mention the stress that I had been warned how easily I could die from a case of the hives.

I'm not sure what I learned from it all, except that when it comes to allergies, there are a lot of non-answers floating the world. Plus, at thirty-five I began to eat more responsibly. I began to read labels and weed out the processed junk. I believe that is what worked.

When it comes to food, I'd rather the government limit over-processing first, then think about the result of serving the public pure and natural foods. Instead, the govt allows over-processing and then tries to remove itself from responsibility by forcing labels to "inform" the public.

As for wine, I don't see why a winemaker should be allowed or need to use nut tannins to give the wine what it can't offer on its own. Of course, I might not have felt that way had I kept my winery going ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Wow...Thomas...how awful! I can't imagine the stress and suffering you went through. Hives (like a nettle rash for all the Brits) are really scary! I am so glad you were able to take control of the situation and are no longer suffering.

I do think that alot of the times they torture people with allergies. The First allergist that my son saw (he is only 21 months btw), would only test him if he had a reaction to something...so everytime he tried a new food, and my son would get hives, I would have to take him to the allergist for a skin test and blood tests, so he was getting blood drawn every 2 weeks...it was true torture for a 10 month old! They of course wanted to put him on all kinds of medication and steroids. I have refused all of it. I am proud to report neither of my children have had any medication in their lives. My son is doing really well, but it is certainly challenging finding things he can have and making sure he has the right amount of nutrients.

Thomas wrote:When it comes to food, I'd rather the government limit over-processing first, then think about the result of serving the public pure and natural foods. Instead, the govt allows over-processing and then tries to remove itself from responsibility by forcing labels to "inform" the public.

ITA 100%! I think things in the US are getting slightly better, because the public is wanting the more wholesome/organic alternatives...but we have a long way to go. We eat very healthy in my house...even more so now that I really have to make everything from scratch (try buying any baked good containing no wheat, eggs, or dairy!).

Thomas wrote:As for wine, I don't see why a winemaker should be allowed or need to use nut tannins to give the wine what it can't offer on its own.

I agree...makes no sense!

Thank you all for sharing your stories...it is so comforting knowing others understand and that there is hope that my son won't suffer his whole life. Thomas, I will certainly keep the stress factor in mind...I do think that plays a really big part in a lot of the reactions.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:45 pm

Maria,

You might be interested in knowing that one of my last break-outs, when I was about 30, was treated in Morristown hospital's emergency room. I lived back then first in Chester and then in Long Valley...worked for the Morristown Daily Record (tres briefly).

Anyway, hives can be life threatening if they attack the head and tongue. That's what that ana-something or other shock is all about with things like shell fish. Adrenaline fast.

I always carried antihistamine tabs with me--not over the counter stuff either. It is certain that removing chemistry and processed foods from my diet went a long way toward fixing things for me. Funny thing is that people often outgrow these kinds of allergies. Maybe the body adapts to whatever threat it used to perceive.

I'm right now going through an allergy madness with my standard poodle. He's off commercial dog food and getting better and better each week.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:30 pm

Thomas wrote: Maria,

You might be interested in knowing that one of my last break-outs, when I was about 30, was treated in Morristown hospital's emergency room. I lived back then first in Chester and then in Long Valley...worked for the Morristown Daily Record (tres briefly).

Wow Thomas...small world! I actually volunteered at Morristown Memorial when I was younger...that would be funny if we were there at the same time!

Thomas wrote:Anyway, hives can be life threatening if they attack the head and tongue. That's what that ana-something or other shock is all about with things like shell fish. Adrenaline fast.

Luckily, my son hasn't had an anaphylactic reaction, but he has only has trace amounts of anything he has been allergic too (and he has never had peanuts or shellfish).

Thomas wrote:I always carried antihistamine tabs with me--not over the counter stuff either. It is certain that removing chemistry and processed foods from my diet went a long way toward fixing things for me. Funny thing is that people often outgrow these kinds of allergies. Maybe the body adapts to whatever threat it used to perceive.

I have Epi-pens everywhere now. My son hasn't really had any processed foods (except for some Good Season's salad dressing...which of course he was allergic too). But I do think the processed foods take a toll on everyone's body.

Thomas wrote:I'm right now going through an allergy madness with my standard poodle. He's off commercial dog food and getting better and better each week.

Poor pup! Hope he continues to improve. So if you don't give him commerical food, do you make him beef and chicken...or is there a specialty food you can buy for him?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:41 pm

Maria,

We feed him lamb, beef, etc plus rice and vegetables, with garlic and flax seed oil. He eats better than we do...
Thomas P