The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Croatia, VA, ID, Lagreins and Medoc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Croatia, VA, ID, Lagreins and Medoc

by Keith M » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:58 am

2004 PZ Svirce Ivan Dolac Hvar Plavac Mali Barrique (Croatia) 14.1% - smell some raisin at first, cherry/plum, smoky bark, with air, lots of fruit, smoky, juicy, light black pepper, hint of coffee/chocolate, taste beautiful silky fruit, kind of muted yet wonderful accomplished spice, good mouthfeel, mighty tasty finish, at first the finish is a challenging raisin bomb, but as the wine opens up it becomes lovely

2004 Fincastle Virginia Cabernet Franc (USA) 12.5% - smell woodsy, reserved texture, somewhat recessed, yet performs very nicely, rich and thick, taste wonderful light yet dense texture, rich berry, hint of spice, overall solid enjoyable wine with good solid fruit and nice texture

2003 Koenig Idaho Syrah Three Vineyards Cuvée (USA) 14% - smell wonderful luxurious, suave leather, deep raspberry rich, slightly warm, with air, some wheat, taste big berry thick, blueberry pie filling, watery yet chunky, black pepper, some strong wood, rotting element to berry center, overall enjoyable, bit flawed on finish, enjoyed the smell more than the taste

2004 Salwey Oberrotweiler Kirchberg Baden/Kaiserstuhl Riesling Spätlese (Germany) 8.5% - smell melon, honey, just a hint of floral, cold, taste wonderful spice, honey, apricot, thick silky texture, taste of green apple on finish, wonderful clean finish, great flavor and wonderful balance, the kind of bottle I find it impossible not to finish and move on to another—the gateway bottle, so to speak

2003 Alois Lageder Alto Adige/Südtirol Lagrein (Italy) 13% - smell slight raisin, rum, date nut bread, soft, hunger inducing, with air, some spicy sausage, somewhat rank, but interesting, mouthfeel thick stringy, very viscous, deep rich plum/cherry, lots of fruit, spice, picnic table (it just feels like I’m sitting at a picnic table—weird), light smoke and earth (or wood rotting in earth), dense minced pie, gripping on tongue, finish that really does not let go, interesting wine but bit too gripping and dense for me

2005 J Hoffstätter Alto Adige/Südtirol Lagrein (Italy) 13% - smell soft fig, recessed spice, bacon, with air, more fruit, hint of tape, soft and spicy, definitely interesting, taste cool, strong bitterness, really dark chocolate, plum, very pleasant spice, black pepper, rough burnt inside of barrel, great texture, very substantial, feels like very unsweetened but fruit rich wine, overall felt wine’s strong fruit (especially at onset—where it is too sweet/tart), very rustic with that burnt barrel feel, would go great with rough gamey meat, rough edges not quite balance—neat elements but wine does not quite come together

2001 Ch Loudenne Medoc (Bordeaux, France) (55 percent merlot, 40 percent cabernet sauvignon, remainder blend of cabernet franc and petit verdot), smell strong mineral, faint fruit, pickle juice, soft and seductive, yet stands out, with air, plump fruit, plums, cherry, leather, bit of a burn, surprising watery and faint intro, feels like nothing, incredibly recessed flavors slowly emerge, juicy, juicy, dripping down, made for steak, eating a bowl of cherries, so juicy--don’t notice dry patches, feels like perfect handshake
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Croatia, VA, ID, Lagreins and Medoc

by James Roscoe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:54 pm

Nice notes. I'll have to head over to Fincastle and pick up some of their Cab. franc. At the wine festival this summer, I found Virginia's Cab. Francs to be very solid offerrings.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:15 pm

2003 Alois Lageder Alto Adige/Südtirol Lagrein...interesting wine but bit too gripping and dense for me
You might enjoy the Lageder Lagrein rose'. Lots and lots of flavor and minerality but without being overly tannic. Great notes! thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:28 pm

Keith, I had to smile. There you are in Germany tasting wines from Idaho, which is just one state over from where I live, that I've never seen before. And wines from Virginia, too: impressive! Great notes: evocative and precise descriptions. I particularly like your 'tape' on the lagrein--with the exception of Terlan's Poypher (Italy), every lagrein I've tasted has had a kind of plastic flavor that I've sometimes called vinyl or shower curtain. 'Tape' suits just as well or maybe better, but I wouldn't have thought of it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Keith,

did you try these wines with food? That Italian wine goes with food is a truism, of course, but there are certain varieties that IME are not enjoyable to taste but go very well with certain foods. Dolcetto and Lagrein would be two of the leading examples.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:13 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I'll have to head over to Fincastle and pick up some of their Cab. franc. At the wine festival this summer, I found Virginia's Cab. Francs to be very solid offerrings.

I highly recommend it, James. Fincastle is right off I-81 and I thought their 2002 cabernet franc to be phenomenal and the 2003 to be enjoyable. I think the winemaker is quite young--his father is likely to be manning the tasting room when you stop by--lovely people and representative of what I love about southwest Virginia. I also have a 2004 Barboursville cabernet franc hanging around--let you know when I get around to it, but it was nice in the tasting room!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Keith M wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I'll have to head over to Fincastle and pick up some of their Cab. franc. At the wine festival this summer, I found Virginia's Cab. Francs to be very solid offerrings.

I highly recommend it, James. Fincastle is right off I-81 and I thought their 2002 cabernet franc to be phenomenal and the 2003 to be enjoyable. I think the winemaker is quite young--his father is likely to be manning the tasting room when you stop by--lovely people and representative of what I love about southwest Virginia. I also have a 2004 Barboursville cabernet franc hanging around--let you know when I get around to it, but it was nice in the tasting room!

I had the 02 Barboursville Cab. Franc. It was very nice. I'm keeping mine for a while. Let me know how you like the '04 as that's what is available.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:50 am

Oliver McCrum wrote:did you try these wines with food?

Oliver,

Excellent point. I think the Hoffstätter performed better than the Alois Lageder because the meal matched it better. I had red-wine pot roast with porcini mushrooms with the Hoffstätter (which made me yearn for a bit gamier meat) but a pasta with a sweeter sauce with the Alois Lageder . . . which did not match well at all.

What are the foods you think match particularly well with lagrein? I have one bottle left and was thinking of matching it with some rib-eye prime rib. I'm new to lagrein but it has certainly impressed me and I want to allow it to shine. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:19 pm

Keith

I very much enjoyed reading your notes also. I am a big fan of Lagrein with roast pork. Try a pork loin coated with some savory herbs like rosemary or thyme. It is a great marriage of food and wine where both benefit from the other rather than simply getting along.

If you have the chance I would recommend trying the Lagrein reserve from Mayr-Nusser. It is made without Barrique and highlights the fresh berry flavors of the grape really well.

Cheers,
Marc
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:36 pm

I have had one of the big Lagrein Riservas (with some small wood) with pot roast, and it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. A plummier mid-weight Lagrein might have done better.

They eat a lot of pork in the Sud Tirol, and I would try pork for preference.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Thanks for the Croatian TN. Wines from Croatia are hard to track down over here as of yet. I'm anticipating a small wave of them to hit U.S. shores if and when Croatia gets their act together and joins the EU.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Keith M in Germany. Picking up wines in Idaho, VA, Croatia, and of course Germany. Sounds familiar. Do I know you?

Nice notes on the Lagreins, but I wonder if the Hoffstatter just needs more time in bottle?

2005 J Hoffstätter Alto Adige/Südtirol Lagrein (Italy) 13%..neat elements but wine does not quite come together
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:20 am

Rahsaan wrote:and of course Germany. Sounds familiar. Do I know you?

Rahsaan,

Uh oh, my cover's been blown . . . just saw this. Indeed it is me--I know I should have been more creative in my screenname.

Regarding the Hoffstätter, I have little experience with the benefits of bottle aging and even less with aging lagreins, but as I really liked the components of the wine, I wouldn't be surprised it a bit more time to meld them would have helped.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 am

Keith M wrote:Rahsaan,

Uh oh, my cover's been blown . . . just saw this. Indeed it is me--I know I should have been more creative in my screenname.

Cool. Glad to see you here. We might talk more than when in the same few square miles of Berkeley. :)

Regarding the Hoffstätter, I have little experience with the benefits of bottle aging and even less with aging lagreins, but as I really liked the components of the wine, I wouldn't be surprised it a bit more time to meld them would have helped.

I don't have much experience with aging lagrein, but it sounded like a disjointed wine. So, will see..