The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Harveys Vintage Porto 1985? Any clues.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Considine

Rank

Just got here

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:50 pm

St.Helens,England

Harveys Vintage Porto 1985? Any clues.

by Alan Considine » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:56 am

Hi, I've just joined up, and to start things off, I've got a question. In clearing my loft, I came across a bottle of Harveys Vintage Porto 1985. It reminded me of when I got it, I think it was around 86/87, and I was told by a wine merchant close to the Port of Liverpool, that he had aquired several cases as a result of a Tax problem which stopped it being shipped to the states. Because I had done him a favour, he gave it me, and recommended I 'Lay it down' as 85 was already being classed as a special vintage. 20 years later, I've been on the net, and can see that 85 is a great year, and I thought I'd see if it was a good make. Apart from numerous references to Bristol Cream, I cant find Harveys Vintage Porto. I've also got a couple of bottles of Moet Chandon 85, which I'm saving for special occassions. Should I treat this the same, or is it only worthy of a good night in, with a friend and a cigar. Any knowledge out there would be appreciated, Cheers.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Harveys Vintage Porto 1985? Any clues.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:00 pm

Alan, welcome to the forum and good to see another Brit here!! Ian Sutton and Peter May are both regulars along with Jamie Goode.
You ask a very interesting question so I did a little research. The `83 Harveys Port seems to be around in limited quantity for around $80 US (I did a google). However I pulled M Broadbents Vintage book of the shelf and found a single entry.

Harveys VP 1962...not declared.....an interesting blend of Cockburn and Martinez shipped and bottled in Bristol.....cork branded "Harveys 1962"....rather weak-rimmed, clove-like, singed raisin note; sweet, spicy, soft yet spirity...last tasted twice in1991.

This is the only good reference I could find so who knows if the `85 is still drinkable. I would see if anyone else chips in here or maybe post on the UK wine forum? I would think it is still good.

Cheers!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:17 pm

ALan, welcome to the WLDG and hope you stay around. there are some here who will likely be able to give you an educated reply, but if it were me, I would take the question to the Love of Port web page which can be found here:

http://fortheloveofport.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Alan Considine

Rank

Just got here

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:50 pm

St.Helens,England

by Alan Considine » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:24 am

Thanks you guys, another member also suggested this Port forum in a Private Message as well. So I've been made to feel welcome. I'll give it a go and see if it helps. I'll post a reply, out of curiousity, if anything comes of it. As I said in the private message, I'm on a winner anyway, as although a little 'Pomp and Ceremony', anticipation and education, enhance a good bottle of wine or any of its cousins, an average bottle in sparse circumstances will always, at the very least, make life more bearable. Cheers,
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:29 am

Alan Considine wrote:Should I treat this the same, or is it only worthy of a good night in, with a friend and a cigar. Any knowledge out there would be appreciated, Cheers.

I always think wines are best with a good friend. But some people, me included, don't feel that Vintage Port goes well with cigar. The smoke for me kills all aromatics of the wine. Oxidatively styled ports work well with cigars, or even better Madeira and sherry, but unoxidised wines like VP just don't work. If I were you, I'd drink with a good friend, but without the cigar. But I do know a few people who do like the combination. Good that you found FTLOP!

Cheers,
Otto

and welcome to the board! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 am

I've had this - probably Cockburns (as Harvey's owned both Cockburn's and Martinez - although I haven't been able to find out whether - or when- Harvey's actually acquired the Quinta da Eira Velha vineyard, which is -or was- the base for Martinez).
However, in the past year I've had about half-a-dozen 1985's (not including Harvey's) and they all had plummeted in quality of enjoyment. Something strange has happened to them all (at least to my taste). believe it or not, they seem to have entered a 'dumb phase' which makes no logical sense - that should have happened 10-15 years ago. At the same time I can't believe that ALL the 1985's have suddenly gone over-the-hill.
I'd leave the 85 for another few years before consuming.