The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Riedel Riesling, Mt. Baker Pinot Noir and Misere Priorat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Riedel Riesling, Mt. Baker Pinot Noir and Misere Priorat

by Jenise » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:32 pm

For a tomato and mushroom risotto, I chose a 96 Misere Priorat hoping for a lighter bodied wine with good secondary development to accent the tangy, lightly herbal flavors in the dish, and this wine was perfect. Pale, mauve-y red color. Light red fruit mix with cinnamon notes and earth. Fruit faded and tannins got grippy toward the end of the bottle; if I owned more I'd plan to drink them up over the next year.

For an appetizer of smoked salmon and red onion on Finnish flat bread, I decided to see how the 1998 Weingut Riedel Riesling Halbtrocken Rheingauer Landwein was doing. Straw gold color. Very coconutty nose with fairly monotone white grapefruit flavors on the palate and soft acidity. I remember more complexity, but now just find it pleasant and without much of a future (though I could be wrong, I'm so out of my element with riesling wines.) A Terry Thiese selection for Michael Skurnik.

For another round of tomato-mushroom risotto, we decided to check on the progress of the 02 Mt. Baker Pinot Noir from Washington state. The wine has definitely put on weight over the past year. The cherry fruit has blackened and gone from light to robust, and there's some black pepper on the nose which is good because there's otherwise not much else going on besides some grippy tannins on the finish. Did they add syrah, one wonders.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Riedel Riesling, Mt. Baker Pinot Noir and Misere Priorat

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:36 pm

Jenise wrote: Very coconutty nose with fairly monotone white grapefruit flavors on the palate and soft acidity.

Landwein is a rather obscure quality level. It has to be at least 9% alc. and less than 18 grams of rs. It is interesting that coconut was a flavor you picked out as a lot of Landwein is aged in new barrique and is so labeled for failing the regional tasting panel quality test. I hope it wasn't expensive.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Riedel Riesling, Mt. Baker Pinot Noir and Misere Priorat

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:28 am

Bill, no, didn't spend much on it at all. $12, and recently at auction. Thanks for explaining the "landwein" part, I don't understand that term (beyond kabinett, spatlese and auslese, German wines really are a foriegn land to me). It certainly didn't taste like a wine of distinction.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov