The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Coppola Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2005 Coppola Pinot Noir

by JC (NC) » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:38 pm

A glass of this with lunch at the Daily Grill in downtown DC. The waiter said it was the silver label--not sure if that is the same as the diamond label or not. I asked to have a sip of this and a sip of the Mirassou and chose the Coppola over the Mirassou even though it cost $11.25 a glass compared to $7.75 a glass for the Mirassou.
Medium to full bodied. Hard to pin down the elements--seems fruity, complex, slightly earthy with maybe some cherry and blackberry notes. I liked it.

Had it with a Cobb salad and side dish of fried shoestring onions. Both dishes were unreasonably large portions. The salad was good but I didn't find any avocado (advertised to be one of the ingredients) and would have liked a bit more bleu cheese.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: 2005 Coppola Pinot Noir

by John Treder » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:05 am

Sounds like you were under-impressed with the Coppola. That agrees with my general opinion of their wines. Reasonable wine, reasonable QPR, but hardly memorable. And you paid a hefty price!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:20 am

That sums it up pretty well. I've had a few other red wines from Coppola and they were reasonabe QPR but nothing outstanding. (And I've noticed wine prices in most DC restaurants to be quite inflated).
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:55 am

Nice to hear about the Daily Grill, or any DC spot. I was up at Bobby Van's on NY Ave at 12th Street and had a bottle of Estancia for about $30, or roughly twice retail, which was what I expected. I had the Estancia because their 1984 was the wine that first got me interested in wine (about $4.00 at the time!). Estancia, of course, is nothing special but not too bad with a nice steak.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:05 am

Jon,
Have you ever been to Bistro Bis on Wisconsin Avenue? That's one I like for lunch but I haven't been to their upstairs wine bar yet. Didn't get there at all on this latest trip to DC. I was wondering about the number of selections in the wine bar.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:42 pm

JC (NC) wrote:chose the Coppola over the Mirassou even though it cost $11.25 a glass compared to $7.75 a glass for the Mirassou.

Wow,

Paying $11 bucks for a glass of Coppola blows! It's ALMOST as bad as paying $8 for a glass of Mirassou. Talk about an uninspired wine list.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:01 pm

JC - I have not been to Bistro Bis buy I have heard of it; sorry I don't know anything about the wine bar. I work down near the Hill and just don't get up that way. Someday when my wife comes in to town I'll have to remember it, though. I used to live at Macomb and Wisconsin Ave., right across from the old Zebra Room; those were my college days and when I went there it was really living high on the hog.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:41 pm

Oops, my mistake. Bistro Bis is the restaurant near Capitol Hill on E St. associated with Hotel George. Bistro Lepic is the French cuisine restaurant on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown area with a wine bar upstairs. I've had lunch at both restaurants but meant to indicate the Bistro Lepic.