The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Infrequentbie Osso Bucco wine pairing question...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Infrequentbie Osso Bucco wine pairing question...

by Covert » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:14 am

I was going to say ‘newbie’, but the term implies one is just starting and will continue. In my case, I have been very occasionally drinking wine with food over the last 40 years, but not often enough to develop many preferences; and I could go another few months without re-involvement.

A colleague and his wife will be coming to our house for dinner next week. His favorite dish is Osso Bucco, so Lynn shall make it for him; she does a very nice job with it. This guy likes wine with food, not before it, like Lynn and I. So I figured that we might knock down a bottle of Bordeaux before dinner and then try to pair as well as possible an appropriate wine with dinner.

I don’t expect my colleague to bring a wine that will pair well. Being graciously cultured in a Latin country, he will undoubtedly bring a Bordeaux, because my wife and I like Bordeaux.

I have seen it written that Brunello goes well with Osso Bucco. But if anyone has found that some type of wine (recognizing, of course, that the Devil is in the variations) usually goes especially well with this hearty dish, I would be appreciative of knowing about it.

Covert
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Infrequentbie Osso Bucco wine pairing question...

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 am

Barolo works quite well, IMO.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:54 am

Covert,

Brunello and barolo are classic, but you won't have any problem pairing a Bordeaux with ossu buco. Without knowing Lynn's recipe, there's really nothing about veal or lamb, herbs, tomato, garlic, a little gremolata or whatever she could put in there that wouldn't show well with a Bordeaux with a little age on it. (Not an 03 Gloria, that is.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:27 pm

I enjoyed a somewhat fruit-forward California Cab with a friend's OB the other month. Also: a nice Shiraz worked quite well.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I enjoyed a somewhat fruit-forward California Cab with a friend's OB the other month. Also: a nice Shiraz worked quite well.

Covert would rather die than drink Shiraz. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:15 am

It helps to be analytic in our recommendations. Osso Buco is typically veal shank, cooked long and slow with aromatic vegetables, garlic, herbs and white wine. Because the flavor profile is lighter and veal has a delicateness, it is best paired with a wine of some elegance and restrained fruit, whether white or red.

When drinking barolo or barbaresco - either is perfect - it needs adequate age to soften up the tannins. Traditional style is prefereable to modern style to hold the fruit quotient back.

Brunello could work with enough age - say 1990 or older. Chianti Riserva from 1995 or earlier would also be fine.

Older Bordeaux would fit the same profile as the above. 1982 or older.

However... If you supe-up the osso buco - with dried porcini, say - then you could rev up the red a bit.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:06 am

Bernard Roth wrote:..... it is best paired with a wine of some elegance and restrained fruit, whether white or red.

In my memory is a comment that red meat cooked long and slow can be paired with white wine very effectively. Cannot recall where I saw or heard that statement but it is worth considering.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:36 am

MikeH wrote:
Bernard Roth wrote:..... it is best paired with a wine of some elegance and restrained fruit, whether white or red.

In my memory is a comment that red meat cooked long and slow can be paired with white wine very effectively. Cannot recall where I saw or heard that statement but it is worth considering.

Veal, under the circumstances, would be considered white meat.
Regards,
Bernard Roth